We are looking for a Legal Control Lead to join the newly established Digital Chief Control Officer (CCO) Function that directly supports Retail Banking & Wealth Management's (RBWM) Digital Risk & Control management at HSBC, one of the world's largest banking and financial services organisations.
The purpose of the Digital Controls Team is to enable HSBC Digital Solutions (HDS) to deliver safe and secure Digital Products using Agile/DevOps through the appropriate application of controls and risk management principles, ensuring that the overall control environment for Digital is fit for managing risk, delivering at pace and to global scale.
Our Digital teams are an integrated global group of over 3500 technologists and commercial thinkers, working across our offices in London, India, China, Hong Kong, the US, Canada, Poland and Mexico.
Your work includes developing new mobile apps and online experiences; using digital messaging to build the relationship with our customers; building and improving the underlying technology and security platforms; and innovating our propositions to take advantage of new technology and trends. We are looking for collaborative thinkers and dreamers with the spirit to continue to make change happen. We champion brave new ideas that will transform future customer experiences.
HSBC Digital Solutions (HDS) are building our next generation of online banking services, helping us move away from the monolithic architectures of the past to a new micro services platform. We have moved from a linear, sequential delivery to iterative delivery, using cross-functional teams, investing heavily in best-in-class tools and hardware. We embrace agile ways of working and are collaborative and flexible in our approach.
You will be responsible for providing Data and Legal expertise to a number of RBWM Digital projects and will engage with the digital product owners on those projects. The role holder will ensure that digital data and legal risks are properly identified, explained and mitigated, and that appropriate management strategies, tools, policies and standards are in place.
- Work with Legal colleagues to identify key legal and data privacy risks which are relevant to Digital, e.g. data privacy breach, intellectual property ownership and licensing, contractual risk.
- Support the digital product owners as part of the digital delivery teams, to aid their ability to develop, maintain and enhance risk and compliance controls that support Digital business objectives within the risk appetite.
- Work closely with digital product risk managers, sourcing specialised Legal and Data Privacy advice from internal Legal teams where required for each digital project.
- Maintain and/or develop subject matter expertise in the area of digital innovation and subsequent emerging legal and data privacy risk (including internet and mobile banking).
- Strong knowledge of legal and data privacy legislation in Europe, Asia and the Americas;
- Relevant legal or data privacy qualifications preferred (e.g. law degree, IAPP/CIPP etc.);
- Relevant work history with Legal and Data Privacy Risk management and or Legal/Data Privacy background;
- Up to date technical knowledge of how digital products and services operate, gained through previous roles, through technical expertise gained through an appropriate degree level qualification, or any other experience;
- Understanding of the way that data is used, processed and manipulated in technical environments and the ability to translate that for a non-technical audience;
- Understanding of the way that legislation places obligations on organisations that control data and the ability to translate that for a technical audience;
- Ability to analyse digital solutions to identify risks, while balancing the overall strategic priorities and maintaining a focus on customer experience;
- Experience and aptitude to constructively challenge the status quo, particularly from a digital perspective;
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of how financial technology is affecting our business, and how this will result in new and emerging risks, innovative opportunities and threats;
- Proven experience with managing stakeholders across several international markets;
- Strong leadership and programme management skills;
- Background working in Agile development frameworks, and understanding of Agile methodologies preferred;
- An understanding of the legal issues that can be faced by digital products in a financial services environment e.g. intellectual property ownership and licensing, contract dispute and litigation, competition obligations, electronic contract formation etc.