See job description for details
EMEA Counterparty Credit – Vice President
Division: Risk Management Job Title: EMEA Counterparty Credit Risk Expert
Location: London Job Level: Vice President
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The cornerstone of Morgan Stanley's risk management philosophy is the execution of risk-adjusted returns through prudent risk-taking that protects Morgan Stanley's capital base and franchise. Risk Management protects the Firm from exposure to losses resulting from defaults by our lending and trading counterparties.
Credit Risk Management (CRM) evaluates credit risk transactions and approves, rejects, or modifies them considering the availability and appropriateness of arrangements for reducing risk or risk mitigation. The department also assigns Internal Credit Ratings; establishes and manages credit risk limits in accordance with the risk tolerance established by the Board; monitors and reports on credit risk exposures on a regular basis to the Chief Risk Officer and senior management. CRM also interacts with business units to ensure that credit risk assessments are factored into business decisions.
The role is to work in the Counterparty Risk team covering a range of corporate clients and associated product management.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Cover key corporate counterparties across a range of corporate sectors, including Oil & Gas, Metals & Mining, Transportation, Utilities, to recommend accurate credit risk ratings and appropriate risk appetite, for derivative transactions.
• Handle trade requests and manage counterparty credit risk portfolios as a product manager across a number of business lines for the covered industry sectors (FX, Rates, Commodities)
• Analyse economic and market events and their impact on the portfolio of counterparties managed.
• Mentor and train junior team members.
• Liaise as necessary with other Risk and non-Risk groups including Market Risk, CVA, BU Risk, Credit Methodology, Credit Capital, Credit Projects, Portfolio Risk, Risk Reporting, Operations, Legal, and Finance.
Skills required (essential)
• Experience in dealing with traded products and the trade approval process i.e. dealing with traders, sales coverage.
• Extensive experience in corporate credit analysis and financial forecasting, assigning ratings and sizing risk appetite
• Product knowledge e.g. interest rate swaps, equity derivatives, commodities (metals, power, gas oil), FX etc
• Strong analytical skills, particularly related to fundamental research for Corporates (commodity industry/product knowledge an advantage).
• Ability to work independently in a self-directed way to thrive in collaborative, team and detail oriented environment
• Strong communications skills, verbal and written, including ability to summarize key messages for senior management presentations
• Familiarity with legal documentation and risk issues, including ISDAs, CSAs, EFET, CPMA and credit mitigating features.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Power Point, Word and fluency in one European language (Spanish, French, Italian) would be an advantage
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.