See job description for details
EMEA Country Risk – Associate
Division: Risk Management
Job Title: EMEA Country Risk Expert
Job Level: Associate
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The cornerstone of Morgan Stanley's risk management philosophy is the execution of risk-adjusted returns through prudent risk-taking that protects Morgan Stanley's capital base and franchise. Risk Management protects the Firm from exposure to losses resulting from defaults by our lending and trading counterparties.
Credit Risk Management (CRM) evaluates credit risk transactions and approves rejects or modifies them considering the availability and appropriateness of arrangements for reducing risk or risk mitigation. The department also assigns Internal Credit Ratings; establishes and manages credit risk limits in accordance with the risk tolerance established by the Board; monitors and reports on credit risk exposures on a regular basis to the Chief Risk Officer and senior management. CRM also interacts with business units to ensure that credit risk assessments are factored into business decisions.
The Associate will be responsible for the following key functions:
- Sovereign/country risk analysis: Analysing EMEA sovereigns, both emerging and developed, in order to assign internal ratings as well as assessing broader country risk for the purpose of setting country limits. The individual will also collaborate with colleagues in other regions to ensure excellence and consistency in the ratings approach.
- Limit setting/monitoring: Setting internal country limits for countries across the EMEA region and monitoring limits for compliance. Contributing to the team’s continuous development and deepening of the overall country risk management framework, including via liaising with colleagues in Credit (within which Country Risk sits) and other areas of Risk (Market and Operational Risk).
- Trade approvals: collaborating with colleagues on a trade by trade basis to determine risk appetite and potential risk mitigants for sovereign counterparts as well as for transactions in countries with constrained risk appetite.
- Communicating country risk analysis: Analysing complex country risk developments and articulating views in a concise and succinct way within Risk and beyond, often under time pressure. Qualifications:
- Experience in, and understanding of, macroeconomic and political analysis and profound interest in subject matter
- Ability to anticipate events and derive significance for real economy and markets
- Confident communicator
- Strong team ethic and commitment
- Experience of limit setting, trade approvals and financial products would be a benefit
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.