Econometrician (Long Term Energy Modelling)
- Competitive (Base + Bonus + Bens)
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Energy Aspects
- 01 Feb 18 2018-02-01
We analyse market fundamentals and forecast price movements. We look at the issue from every angle: from OPEC dynamics and deep water production, through to trade flows and data trends. We examine how policy can influence carbon prices and the uptake of electric vehicles, how the weather shapes natural gas storage numbers, and much more besides. We develop in-depth research by combining our extensive data models with our network of high-level industry contacts and our forward-looking views on all major market trends. Our team has an industry-wide reputation for providing relevant, insightful and timely commentary.
The Econometrician will be responsible for developing and maintaining the models that will play a critical part in the creation and continuous improvement of our soon to be launched long-term service. They will design, create, test and refine econometric models to forecast supply and demand in global energy markets under different conditions.
One of the challenges will be managing data from multiple sources of varying quality levels. As an Econometrician, you will produce a detailed methodology documentation that explains the approach we have taken. These documents will be scrutinised by our clients and will need to communicate complex information to an audience with varying levels of technical expertise.
The successful candidate will need to work closely with the head of the long-term service and build strong collaborative relationships with members of the existing research teams and the wider business to achieve required goals and align the long-term analysis with our existing services.
- Model global energy demand from 10 to 25 years as directed by Head of Long-term Services
- Development and improvement of models using Python
- Collect data from multiple sources within the EA repositories and externally
- Ensure the data is consistent and fit for purpose
- Document the source data and modelling processes
- Test various modelling approaches and assumptions to identify the most appropriate
- Utilise Statistical, forecasting, and modelling tools
- Write reports based on data findings
- Create manuals for explaining data and sources for clients
- Experience of designing and building econometric models, ideally in a related field
- In-depth understanding of key economic concepts
- Strong data-handling skills, including being able to select and use the most appropriate software for a task
- Effective project management and understanding of commercial and time sensitive requirements when planning
- Establishing collaborative working relationships beyond immediate team, including across sites and time zones
- Degree with a strong focus on quantitative and statistical analysis
- Should be proficient in Microsoft Excel and have used at least one of the following software packages for econometric modelling; Python, Stata, Eviews, R (Successful candidates will be expected to develop their Python software skills).
- Experience of long term analysis of energy markets (i.e. Gas, electricity, oil, renewables etc)
- Highly proficient in Python development
- Employer pension contributions into an auto-enrolment compliant scheme – 6% of base salary
- Annual bonus based on company and personal performance paid in February each year for the previous calendar year, and pro-rated in the first year
- 25 days of paid holiday per year, plus public holidays
- Comprehensive medical/travel insurance with dental and optician cashback
- Flexible benefit options (season ticket loans, cycle to work scheme, subsidised gym membership, childcare vouchers, etc.)