- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Hutton Consulting
- 30 May 18 2018-05-30
Leading macro hedge fund, is looking to hire a first-rate Emerging Market Economist to analyse market-relevant economic developments, with a focus on Spanish-speaking Latin America.
Emerging Market/Latin America Economist
The candidate will have a postgraduate degree in economics or related quantitative field, as well as several years of relevant work experience, including exposure to Latin American economies, in an international organisation, government, central bank, buy-side or sell-side firm.
In collaboration with the Head of EM Research, the wider research team and risk takers in London, the candidate will analyse economic and political developments relevant to financial markets, produce forecasts for key variables (e.g., inflation, central bank decisions) and translate these into financial market outcomes. In particular, the candidate will take ownership of economic analysis, forecasting and policy monitoring for markets in Spanish-speaking Latin America. The position may be located in London or Washington DC.
• Provide real-time surveillance of economic, policy and political developments that affect financial markets
• Monitor relevant analysis, research, and media commentary from a wide variety of sources in an efficient and comprehensive manner
• Track trends and provide timely analysis on developments that may affect medium- to longer-term policy outcomes
• Contribute to the research team's high-frequency forecasting effort, with particular responsibility for Latin America
• Translate economic insights into financial market outcomes, in close communication with risk takers
Requirements for this position include:
• Strong academic track record, including a postgraduate degree in economics or related quantitative field; strong preference for PhD. Candidates' quantitative skills will be tested during the recruitment process.
• Several years of relevant work experience (financial sector, government, central bank or international organisation) and a record demonstrating superior professional achievement
• Strong grasp of macroeconomics and applied econometrics
• Familiarity with the economies of Latin America and fluency in Spanish
• Familiarity with financial markets (bonds, swaps, FX) a significant plus
• A proactive approach, driven by intense curiosity, logical reasoning and an ability to filter signals from noise
• An ability to communicate clearly in English, both verbally and in writing
Closing date for applications: 29th June 2018