Environment Specialist - Private Sector
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow - infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 104 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients' needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Environment Specialist will be responsible for integrating environmental dimensions into the work of the AIIB, recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves activities to address the environmental dimensions of policies, programs, projects, technical assistance, and training; and appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Policy (ESP).
Responsibilities Operational Support
The candidate's primary responsibility is to assist in the preparation and implementation of investment projects and appraisal of environmental and social (ES) risks and impacts associated with financial intermediaries (FI) projects. In addition, they will support senior ES colleagues in managing ES risks and impacts from sovereign-backed financings (SBF) and nonsovereign-backed financings (NSBF) against the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Policy (ESP). More specifically, this responsibility includes supporting Project Team Leaders (PTLs) in:
- Screening projects for potential ES and climate change-related risks and impacts and proposing the ES category for the project.
- Conducting AIIB's due diligence assessment on the ES aspects of projects, undertaking field visits to assess the ES feasibility of the project and selected sub-projects/activities financed through FIs.
- Supporting the clients on stakeholder consultations, grievances redress mechanism and disclosure of ES instruments and related studies.
- Guiding the clients on the preparation and implementation of environmental and social impact assessments (ESIAs) and environmental management plans across priority infrastructure sectors such as water, urban, energy and transport as per the requirements of AIIB's ESP.
- Monitoring the implementation of ES aspects of sub-projects/activities funded by the FIs and addressing any issues that arise during project implementation, including any changes in project design or scope.
- Assisting the PTLs to address noncompliance by the client with its ES obligations by providing support to develop, recommend, and monitor courses of action/corrective measures required of the client to bring the project back to compliance with the AIIB's ES Policy.
- Coordinating joint developments between departments on new financial products and applicable E&S approach and matters related to AIIB's efforts in driving green financing, mobilizing private capital and ESG developments.
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- Contribute to AIIB's knowledge base on use of FI approaches and emerging practices in the application of ESG frameworks.
- Assist in developing and conducting training for AIIB staff, consultants and clients on ES aspects of FI projects and use of ESG approaches in Capital Market operations.
Requirements The Environmental Specialist must have proven ability to carry out complex tasks as part of multi-disciplinary teams, capacity to work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines; and ability to work with Project Teams, clients and key stakeholders on managing environmental risks and impacts.
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of relevant experience with strong project management skills either working for a major commercial bank, asset management, or stock exchange, or as a consultant to a multilateral development banks (MDB), bilateral development organization, development finance institution and/or a private sector organization, where they managed ES risks associated with FI projects and/or use of ESG approaches in Capital Market operations.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in finance, business, law, environmental management or other relevant disciplines.
- Practical knowledge of a variety of financial instruments, including equity, bonds, loans, funds and others.
- Experience with the preparation, implementation and monitoring of E&S Management Systems used by FIs at the corporate and sub-project levels.
- Ability to participate in project development, design and monitoring of traditional and FI Projects.
- Familiarity with the Equator Principles, IFC performance standards, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and various ESG ratings.
- Professional expertise in planning, management and monitoring of the environmental and social aspects of infrastructure programs and projects, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Experience in monitoring E&S aspects of projects and sub-projects during implementation.
- Proven ability to work with public and/or private sector clients and FIs and development partners (MDBs, bilateral development organizations and development finance institutions) of AIIB in an effective and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.
ALL CURRENT VACANCIES
* Closing Date: All opportunities close at 24:00 GMT+8 on the dates listed.
** Job Type: Recruitment of staff is conducted through a merit-based competitive selection process. AIIB shall strive to provide employment opportunities open to all suitably qualified applicants, regardless of religion, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or nationality.