Equity Investment Director
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Wellington Management Company, LLP
- 20 Oct 17 2017-10-20
Equity Investment Director
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 50 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are currently seeking to recruit an experienced Investment Director to join our Equity Product Management group in London.
The Equity Product Management group at Wellington partners with our Equity investment teams, our Business Development & Relationship Management Group (GRG), and business colleagues around the firm. Our equity investors span a wide range of disciplines, geographies, industries, market capitalizations, and styles. Our clients are located around the world. The Product Management function has three main objectives:
Product Development and Marketing
Product Management contributes to client growth and retention by assessing business opportunities and leading business planning, developing new products and investment solutions, by creating the communication strategy for the book of business, including materials that differentiate the product relative to competitors, and by acting as a subject matter expert and portfolio representative for colleagues, clients and consultants.
Investment Integrity and Risk Management
Product Management acts as an independent advisor to ensure the integrity of the investment and risk management processes (as well as consistency with client parameters and objectives), conducts regular product risk and performance attributions reviews, and contributes to formal Investment Review Group processes.
Product Management contributes to business management, including capacity, pricing and guidelines, leads the resolution of internal business challenges, and collaborates on product management business to share investment integrity, marketing and product development best practices.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Investment Director will work closely with several Equity Portfolio Management teams in London, the US and Asia, across the spectrum of critical investment and business challenges highlighted above. He/she will work closely with Product Management colleagues globally, the investment teams, GRG, and business professionals around the firm to a) position and represent our investment approaches for success in the marketplace, b) review and evaluate the integrity of our equity approaches, and c) manage business issues associated with portfolios under coverage.
Specific activities will include:
* Developing and executing the agenda to move the products under coverage forward, and strategically build a sustainable book of business;
* Creating business plans, marketing strategies and original investment content to differentiate the firm/investor, and position our products/solutions in the marketplace;
* Acting as an effective investment representative of assigned investment teams and their respective portfolios and/or investment process with clients, prospects and consultants;
* Driving, facilitating and influencing business decisions, such as those arising from operational complexity, fee negotiations, capacity limitations, investment guidelines, and the like
* Leveraging analytical tools to provide value-added analysis to improve the investment processes, and conducting quarterly risk and attribution reviews with portfolio managers;
* Making quantitative and qualitative evaluations of investment strategies, both for competitive positioning and client consulting;
* Where appropriate, tailoring investment styles to meet client specific needs/guidelines.
Investment Directors are expected, in conjunction with Product Management leadership, to actively participate in the development of talent by providing feedback and creating opportunities for team members. Product Management is a global team and members actively work to broadly share information and ensure colleagues have the tools to represent the portfolios/investment processes to clients and prospects around the world.
The Investment Director role is multi-faceted, and requires demonstrated investment knowledge, combined with a passion for equity investing. The successful candidate will have deep market knowledge and compelling communication skills, such that he/she will be able to conduct external and internal meetings across a range of audiences and market/product content. He/she will be intellectually curious, creative, proactive and solutions oriented. The ability to influence and be collaborative, inclusive and transparent while acting as a fiduciary on a wide range of business and investment integrity relative issues is imperative.
Further qualifications are likely to include:
* A strong academic background. Ideally this will include a post-graduate qualification such as a MBA or CFA;
* Substantial (10+ years) industry experience, with deep equity capital markets and investment knowledge, preferably gained in a relevant capacity such as Product Management, Portfolio Management or Investment Consulting;
* Strong personal presence and compelling communication skills;
* Demonstrated business judgment skills and strong analytical skills;
* Originality in thinking, and the ability to bring new ideas and creative solutions to discussions;
* A positive, collegial attitude, and a high level of professionalism;
* Grace under pressure, the ability to adapt, "roll up sleeves" and get things done;
* Willingness to travel.
Please note that we are only able to respond to successful applicants.
Equity Investment Director
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at Wellington@icareerhelp.com .