European Private Debt Analyst - Associate/Vice President
Description About this role Business Unit Overview Alternatives/Credit
BlackRock offers access to a spectrum of alternative investments amounting to approximately $ 230 billion of assets - including hedge funds, private equity, private credit, real estate and infrastructure all organized under BlackRock Alternative Investors (BAI). BlackRock's Global Credit team manages more than $ 155 billion in assets across public and private market credit strategies. The platform, in partnership with Global Fixed Income and BlackRock Alternative Investors, offers clients one of the industry's broadest arrays of investment choices across the spectrum of risk, liquidity, and geographies.
The Global Credit team offers an array of liquid and illiquid credit products designed to meet specific client risk and return profiles. European Middle Market Private Debt team are part of the European Fundamental Credit business, within Global Credit, and provide, on behalf of BlackRock's clients and funds, mid-market companies with senior and subordinated loans for acquisitions, capital growth, restructuring, LBO's and liquidity situations. The team seeks an experienced Credit Analyst to lead underwriting, fundamental credit analysis, due diligence and approval of new investments. The Global Credit team offers an array of liquid and illiquid credit products designed to meet specific client risk and return profiles.
European Private Debt team is part of the European Fundamental Credit business, within Global Credit, and provide, on behalf of BlackRock's clients and funds, mid-market companies with senior, Unitranche and subordinated loans for acquisitions, capital growth, restructuring, LBO's and liquidity situations. The team seeks an experienced Credit Analyst to lead underwriting, fundamental credit analysis, due diligence, documentation negotiation and approval of new investments. Role description:
The Vice President or Senior Associate of Middle Market Private Debt credit research will be responsible for structuring and assessing direct lending investment opportunities across Europe. Partnering with the Origination team and the senior private debt research analyst, she/he will be responsible for the fundamental credit analysis of direct lending investments made on behalf of our clients and funds for mid-market corporates in the UK and Western Europe as well as cross border transactions alongside BlackRock's' North American direct lending teams. The European Private Debt team provide mid-market companies with senior and subordinated financing solutions for acquisitions, capital growth, restructuring, LBO's and liquidity situations. The platform spans senior, unitranche, subordinated, sustainable / impact, private high yield and recurring revenue credit products. He or she will lead an effective fundamental credit research analysis and lead the investment process in partnership with the Portfolio Managers and other analysts in the team. The role will entail the following:
Skills, Experience and Education:
- Conduct independent fundamental credit analysis, due diligence and approval of new investments
- Calibrate financing needs and structures for prospective borrowers
- Financial modelling of investment opportunities
- Interact with management teams, private equity sponsors, industry sources, and other investment professionals
- Seek solutions to deal structures and issues within the boundaries of fund parameters in co-ordination with the originator, internal functions and external participants
- Lead role in the investment evaluation process including attendance at management presentations, review of due diligence reports, and preparation of internal investment proposals in conjunction with originators
- Presents Portfolio Managers and Investment Committee with a clear and consistent approach to mitigate credit, legal, industry, ESG and other relevant risks
- Champion selected investment opportunities (in coordination with Origination) through the investment process until completion
- Provides input on or leads (in the case of a Vice President) negotiation of terms and conditions for transactions and works with originator and legal to ensure appropriate structuring / documentation
- Negotiation and review of transaction legal documentation and liaising with internal and external legal advisers
- Ongoing monitoring of portfolio assets including waivers & amendments, contributing to the quarterly fund valuation process and reporting to investors.
- Involvement in providing portfolio reports and analytics for internal and external use
- Adhere to investment process and operational standards
- Help identify/ manage operational risks and improve processes as relevant
- Excellent credit skills demonstrated through prior relevant experience underwriting, structuring and executing direct lending/private debt and/or leveraged finance transactions
- Ability to direct the structuring of a transaction, manage transaction process with internal and external parties and working with originators to complete investment opportunities
- Strong financial modelling and legal documentation skills
- Motivated team player and flexible in approach with ability to work independently
- Must demonstrate integrity and alignment to BlackRock's principles and commitment as a trusted fiduciary to our clients.
- Flexible, responsive with keen attention to detail.
- Open-minded thought process and intellectual honesty with an ability to dynamically adapt to coverage of different products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - presents ideas in a clear, concise and constructive manner
- Excellent academic background
- Must be fluent in English
- Other European language skills are a key asset (e.g. fluency in German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish)
- Role based in London, Paris or Munich (to be discussed)
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.32 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.