Executive Assistant We are looking to hire a dynamic Executive Assistant (EA) to support our team - to act as a key liaison with our growing rota of start-up investments, coordinate team events, manage international travel and who can juggle diaries in their sleep!
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. About Octopus Ventures
Octopus Ventures, part of Octopus Group, is a leading European Venture Capital firm. We invest in the pioneers who will create the next $1 billion companies in Health, Money and Industry. We know that being bold and generous with our time, our network and our knowledge works for everyone. We draw on the diversity of our experience to help the companies we back get better, faster, whether that involves building teams, developing their CEOs or scaling internationally.
We aim to be helpful and straightforward, committed to shaping an ecosystem where the brightest entrepreneurs can make a meaningful contribution to society. We know that companies which embrace diversity, including our own, perform better, which is why we've joined others and signed up to #movingforward.
In recent years the team has invested in over 70 outstanding entrepreneurs that are leading the way in disrupting their industries, including but not limited to Allplants, Elvie, Depop, Big Health, graze.com , Eve, Magic Pony, Secret Escapes, Sofar Sounds, Swiftkey, Swoon Editions, tails.com and Zoopla Property Group.
You'll love this role if:
- You can juggle diaries in your sleep. You'll work alongside our two excellent existing EAs to run the show together when it comes to all things arranging and coordinating. With the team currently around 30 people (plus 10 contractors), things can get pretty busy liaising with internal or external stakeholders, but you will be professional and wow your customers every time with your efficiency.
- You get a kick out of admin. You love organising, whether it be booking flights, arranging visas, formatting, printing, presentations, or electronic filing. But you also know the order you need to get stuff done - great prioritising is the number one priority!
- You are a natural communicator who is the first point of contact and (politely) acts as gatekeeper for incoming queries for team members, from both external and internal sources.
- You want to join the backbone of the team, the group which keeps the business moving. You'll work with investment team and other EAs to help make sure we're meeting the right businesses seeking investment at the right time or getting some precious space carved out for a company we've already invested in.
- You are a real go-to person. You will probably know everyone in the Octopus core support teams such as IT, finance, reception, marketing, etc and work closely with the existing EAs to make sure there's strong and seamless support across the team, including reciprocal cover during any absences. You are very much someone in the know, and if you're not, you enjoy figuring the answer out
Our Values and DNA
- Must be able to chat through your experience where you have provided assistance to a number of people (some trickier than others), and examples of prioritisation. This is a busy role and you must be a pro
- Have a great demeanour, fantastic organisational skills, with a great attention to detail. The team is brilliant and we need somebody to join forces with them!
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Be freethinking and able to spot and help implement new efficiencies or technologies with the other members of the support team
- Enjoy liaising with different kinds of people, representing Ventures internally and externally
- Want to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values - to be one team, be bold, be straightforward, be helpful
- Be comfortable asking the "stupid question" or challenge the status quo
- Have an interest in learning more about the companies we invest in, the industry and applying this knowledge to the role as you learn more
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we're always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best. What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.