External Development Origination ManagerOverview
At Octopus Property, we're different. We're committed to providing exceptional customer service throughout the lending process, making sure we get the right decision for the borrower, as quickly as we can. And if we agree to do something, we'll do it. Our flexible approach to lending and commitment to customer service has won us numerous awards. But we're not about to get complacent. We keep listening to our customers and enhancing our product range and service levels, to give each of our customers the best possible experience. It's property lending the way it should be.
We are a specialist property lender with a genuine appetite to lend. Unlike other traditional bridging finance companies, we offer both short-term bridging loans (many for a matter of months) and extended bridging facilities allowing customers loan terms of up to five years. We offer some of the largest loans in the bridging finance industry, ranging from £50,000 to £25 million. We don't rely on wholesale funding lines and we have full discretion over the money we lend. That means we can deliver rapid decisions and completion within days.
About the role
The residential development book currently comprises c. £500m of development assets across c. 80 loans. The Book has been structured off stretched senior debt lending (up to 85% LTC) and we are looking for a dynamic and experienced individual to help manage this growing book. The successful candidate will have a detailed understanding of development finance, including development cash flow analysis, visiting sites, speaking to borrowers & brokers and originating deals. The candidate will receive excellent support from senior management, as well as the wider team.
• Origination and execution of residential development deals
• Researching new residential development enquiries to assess the suitability of the security and in turn, recommending appropriate terms (LTV, rate, term and interest treatment)
• Meeting and assessing suitability of the proposed developer/borrower in terms of experience etc.
• Viewing all properties prior to completion and discussing any issues arising
• Reviewing property valuations and interrogating assumptions and methodology
• Writing deal synopses
• Assist the Credit Manager with legal process and associated due diligence - Valuation, QS report and Legal Pack
• Achieve and exceed sales target as set by the Head of Sales
• Work with External Business Development Manager to manage, build and maintain relationships with existing and new brokers alike
• Present the Octopus proposition at required team meetings and trade shows
• Hold face to face meetings with brokers and clients
• Attend networking events as required
• Proven track record of exceeding sales targets
• Exceptional phone manner, face to face manner and communication skills
• Experience in a similar role and having a background dealing with developers
• Experience in recognising and discussing various build methods confidently with borrowers and QS
• Strong understanding of the risks involved with residential development lending and the ability to identify and mitigate an early warning signals
• Ability to understand and discuss market trends within the residential development sector and how they impact developers and lenders
• Strong and flexible work ethic
• Service focused
• High quality interpersonal skills
• Positive winning mentality
• Attention to detail
• Relevant IT knowledge (particularly Microsoft Office including Excel)
• Ability to thrive in a high pressured environment
• Customer Obsession is about putting the customers' needs at the heart of everything we do. We achieve this by listening, by making the complex simple and by delivering on our promises.
• Focus on Impact is about making things happen. It's about recognising and avoiding the distractions. And it's about executing really, really well.
• Better & Better is about having the humility to recognise that everything can be improved. We want a culture where everyone can put forward ideas and where people at all levels seek out, learn from and react positively to feedback.
• Personality matters - at Octopus, we want people who are willing to roll up their sleeves, are passionate about what they do, and who retain their humility despite all they achieve. We are honest, open and decent, always.
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place. So, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don't make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you've got a great idea, don't keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.