FRONT OFFICE SUPPORT, ASSET MANAGEMENT
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
Northern Trust Asset Management is a multi-asset class investment manager offering a broad range of investment solutions. The primary focus of this role will be to assist in the support of the Portfolio Management and Trading team from an Operational aspect.
This role provides dedicated "Front line" support to allow the Portfolio Managers and Trade teams to focus on Investment Management and Trade Execution. Functions will include Trade and Cash monitoring, Position monitoring, Prep and follow up on Corporate Actions, Counterparty management, Account set-up/maintenance and Exception resolution. Knowledge of investments, including terminology, instruments and general industry practices is required, especially regarding Fixed Income, Equity and FX trade settlement. Strong analytical and communication skills are required to research and resolve queries and issues. The ideal candidate should have a strong teamwork ethic and be able to work independently, in a time sensitive environment, knowing when to escalate issues. The key responsibilities of the role include:
• Assist in the day to day support for Portfolio Managers and Traders
• Daily review/report checking of positions, market values and cash to validate accuracy
• Investigate any inaccuracies identified and their impact to Portfolios with a pro-active attitude
• Work closely with other NTAM partners in support of the business, communicating any issues and coordinating directly with teams such as Trade Services, Corporate Actions, Derivatives, Account Management, Product and our Custodians
• Management of the above internal relationships, with feedback supplied and reviewed monthly, driving for exemplary service and delivery for the Asset Management business
• Monitor trades originated by the Trading desk to ensure timely matching, confirmation and reporting
• Work with other team members in order to address any trade discrepancies uncovered during the trade matching and settlement process and know when to escalate
• Help serve as the liaison between the Portfolio Management and outsourced teams to resolve any data or processing issues, serving as the Front Office SME
• Ensure the timely and accurate setup of new accounts on relevant systems coordinating with the New Account Opening team, including setting up of Futures accounts and FX systems, liaising with product to supply any relevant legal documentation to support the request
• Regularly reviewing current practises, looking for ways to enhance and create robust procedures across the business
• Work as part of a larger global team with partners based in regions including London, Hong Kong, Chicago and Bangalore
• Responsible for identifying and resolving problems within established procedural guidelines
• Be risk averse by identifying process or business risks and escalate to line manager The successful candidate will benefit from having:
• Experience in Investment Management - Passive Management a plus
• Fixed Income and Equity Asset Class/Market trade support experience is essential
• In depth knowledge of securities markets and various asset classes including Equities, FX and Derivatives
• Strong analytical skills to research data and resolve queries and issues
• A proactive and time sensitive mind-set, driving for results
• Proven understanding of the full Trading and Settlement life cycle
• Understanding of Corporate Actions
• Strong MS-Excel skills
• Experience with Bloomberg, FxAll and key NT Systems (e.g. Blackrock Aladdin, Eagle) is beneficial but not essential
• Good process and procedure writing skills
• Ability to quickly understand and accurately execute procedures The competencies that will be valuable for this role include:
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Good Team player and strong work ethic
• A calm and measured approach to handling issues
• Outstanding problem resolution and pro-active decision making
• Ability to escalate appropriately
• Risk averse approach to managing day to day duties
• Strong time management Working with Us:
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways: Financial
- Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review Work Life Balance
- Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days Health & Wellbeing
- Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program Professional Development
- Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives. And Finally
We hope you're excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.