FX Market Risk Manager
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 18 May 19
See job description for details
We're hiring an FX Market Risk Manager to join us in London
- This role is a chance to contribute to the success of one of our core markets businesses
- You can expect a steep learning curve, and the opportunity to challenge yourself within a collaborative team culture
- It is a demanding role with high visibility, calling on you to interface with traders and other functions
- We're happy to consider applications from both existing market risk professionals and those with business experience
- The role is available at vice president level
What you'll do
You'll oversee the Currency Options trading desk independently from the business, reporting ultimately into the bank's risk Hheads. You'll have the chance to make a real impact on the way the risks are managed in those businesses. You will be supporting the Head of Market Risk for Currencies in expressing risk appetite and implementing an effective market risk framework, including setting risk limits and monitoring the trading desks' use of those limits. You will have to manage risk excesses and raise risk developments to the attention of senior stakeholders in Market Risk and in the business.
We'll rely on you to review trading strategies and other business proposals, including FX pricing model selection and performance, and to challenge constructively where they lie outside of risk appetite. You'll also have a crucial oversight role, monitoring trading activity and market events, with a rigorous approach to controls.
You'll succeed in this role by:
- Using your analytical skills to track the relationship between market prices, products traded, risk representation and limit utilisations
- Showing ability to react to new events, prioritise and deliver under pressure while staying the course for strategic work
- Tackling operational challenges actively, and showing the ability to analyse issues precisely in an autonomous manner, then to seek resolution as a team
- Show intellectual curiosity and appetite to developing detailed knowledge of relevant financial markets, traded products, business's trading strategies, risk processes and key P&L drivers
- Demonstrating keen awareness of the importance of controls, which help protect the bank and its customers, and of the regulatory framework
- Staying on top of the current risks and financial market developments, such as price action, related macro-economics, and relevant newsflow
- Adapting your communication style to circumstances, such as the seniority and function of colleagues receiving the messages
The skills you'll need
This role is suitable for someone with existing understanding and experience of a markets environment in an international bank, preferably on traded products, and a strong, motivating interest in the markets and in investment banking. You should have an understanding of market risk, but won't necessarily need to have worked in a formal risk role although it is preferable. If you have suitable product knowledge from a front office, quant, or operations role at a similar level, and are prepared to tackle a steep learning curve, this role may be suitable as fluency with risk and pricing systems and models will be valuable, along with the willingness to build your own tools occasionally and more generally get your fingers dirty with pre-existing tools.
It's numerate and analytical work, so we'll expect at least an undergraduate degree in a finance, economics or numerical discipline, such as Mathematics, Sciences or Statistics. Whatever your academic and professional background, good understanding of options will be a big plus, good knowledge of FX derivative products would be advantageous, although product training will be provided. Previous experience dealing with regulation and internal audit would also be valuable.
We'll also be looking for:
- Curiosity and technical appetite
- Strong technical problem solving and analytical skills
- Accomplished skills with Excel
- The ability to produce high quality documentation
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing, with the ability to clearly articulate risk and simply convey complex concepts to a range of different audiences, such as traders, finance teams, and senior management
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At NatWest Markets we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles.