Who we're looking for
We are looking for a seasoned and technical infrastructure FinOps engineer to be part of the Enterprise Cloud Team and be part of the multi-year cloud transformation program that we have embarked upon. We require someone who has experience of developing industry leading cloud cost management and optimisation solutions in cloud, and has worked with colleagues across technology, functions and the business on successful, medium-large scale, cloud transformation programmes. We are looking for a passionate financial cloud advocate and engineer who has an understanding of both financial cost management as well as infrastructure and cloud best practices, industry trends, modern technologies and new ways of working.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future. We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible hybrid working and have facilities that include an onsite gym (a good one at that!), doctors, dentist, restaurant, coffee shop and garden balconies.
You will be part of the Enterprise Cloud team that is comprised of two functions, the Cloud Centre of Excellence covering Azure Platform SRE, AWS Platform SRE, Cloud Enablement and Cloud Architecture as well as the Cloud Business Office who cover cloud technical project management and delivery oversight for each of the 7 Cloud workstreams namely Engineering, Migrations, FinOps, People and Training, Communications, Governance and On Premise Cost Management. You will be a FinOps Engineer within the Cloud Business Office and will be part of the FinOps workstream and team that is responsible for ensuring robust cost management within Cloud. You will join a highly analytical team who are solely focused on cloud, who are integral to a successful cloud adoption and migration programme over the coming years.
What you'll do
• Develop a robust cloud cost management service
• Review and refine a tagging framework and governance model
• Be the product owner for the cloud cost management and show back module in the Enterprise Portal
• Work closely with both Azure and AWS on billing and cost optimisation opportunities
• Be a trusted liaison between global technology (cloud) and finance, helping finance quantify the cost impacts of cloud engineering and operational decisions
• Work with cloud engineering teams implementing cost best practices on the platform
• Provide teams across Global Technology with the tools to develop and measure cost related insights, metrics, and KIP's to help them better understand their service(s) and how to build more cost efficiently
• Promote the FinOps principles which are a combination of systems, best practices, and culture designed to increase Schroders ability to understand cloud costs and manage
• Every week solve exciting new challenges with an amazing team and technology stack
• Employ exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to see and solve issues before they affect business productivity
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Good technical background across cloud and/or infrastructure
• Good knowledge of financial principles and business finance
• Experience of working within a FinOps practice/team
• Good understanding of Azure and AWS services and the different costing models (reserved instances, spot, on demand/PAYG, savings plans)
• Experience with third party cloud cost optimisation tooling
• Deep understanding of overall cloud cost management and FinOps principles
• Experience of with Power BI, cloud native cost reporting tools and cost optimisation
• Experience of working with detailed billing statements from cloud providers
• Good understanding of public cloud architecture, main building blocks, workload types, migration scenarios, migration patterns and tools for Azure and AWS
• Understanding and practical experience of MACC and EDP contracts as well as familiarity with AMP (Azure) and MAP (AWS) migration programmes
• Experience with capacity planning and rightsizing, tagging and automation
• Proficient cost management knowledge including trending and variance analysis and forecasting
• Understanding of the broader cloud ecosystem including Cloud Computing Technologies, business drivers and leading-edge cloud emerging technologies and trends.
• Good communication skills with the ability to present technical ideas in a business friendly language
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Experienced in designing, engineering, and implementing cloud solutions on AWS and/or Azure
• Experience of building a FinOps practice/team greenfield
• Experience of cloud transformation and change programs across technology organizations
• University degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related discipline
• Cloud certifications for at least Azure or AWS
• Understanding Cloud Service capabilities and relative strengths (AWS, Azure, GCP, Ali)
• Experience of Power BI, Azure Power Platform
What you'll be like
• A passionate FinOps engineer
• An FinOps engineer who has the hunger and desire to learn new technologies
• An advocate of cloud, cloud adoption, cloud transformation and cost management
• Someone who embraces collaboration and change
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.