Financial Controller role to lead the finance function for a rapidly growing and well-funded start-up building and developing the leading portfolio of health & personal care e-commerce brands. Excellent opportunity to take on a finance leadership role and develop one's management skills in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment.
We are seeking an experienced Financial Controller to join our team to manage our finance function, including taking charge of the monthly bookkeeping process, preparation of annual statutory accounts and tax filings, and establishing new accounting policies and procedures, assisted by an internal team of remote-working accountants. We are building and growing the leading portfolio of health & personal care e-commerce brands with international sales primarily on the Amazon marketplace. The job provides an excellent opportunity to utilise and build a combination of leadership, entrepreneurial and technical skills, and entails taking on a high-level of responsibility. This role requires working in our office in London (Hammersmith) with a flexible working from home schedule.
- Management of finance function including a team of full-time remote accountants
- Overseeing production of monthly management accounts and annual statutory reporting
- Liaising with external advisors for the accurate and timely filing of corporate tax returns in the US, UK and other jurisdictions as required
- Ensuring on-going compliance with VAT filing requirements across various international tax authorities, working closely with external agencies
- Supervising the construction of accounting books for new brand acquisitions in Xero
- Providing technical guidance on all accounting matters relating to the business, establishing firm-wide accounting policies and developing new processes to improve the efficiency of bookkeeping and reporting within the business
Skills and Education Requirements:
- 6+ years in accounting, preferably including 3+ years in practice followed by an in-house finance leadership role
- Previous experience in a Big Four or other major accountancy firm preferred
- Experience of working with start-up or scale-up businesses, or private equity roll-up platforms is advantageous (either clients or working in-house)
- ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent professional accounting qualification, or alternatively CTA or equivalent professional tax qualification
- A strong academic background with a degree from a top university
- Excellent project management, planning and organisation skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem solving, attention to detail and analytical skills
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and Xero
- Interest in healthcare and e-commerce industries with an entrepreneurial flair
What we can offer you:
- Ability to develop your knowledge and leadership skills in all aspects of finance and tax management for a large and international e-commerce business with a roll-up type investment strategy
- Opportunity to take on a high-level of responsibility with ample chances for career growth and to build up a team of direct reports
- A culture that values achievement and performance
- Continuous investment in your professional development with regular structured feedback from experienced managers
- A highly collaborative and entrepreneurial environment
- A fun and youthful start-up culture
- Flexible one day working from home per week
- A competitive salary with performance bonus and stock options, gym membership and private medical healthcare insurance
Gravitiq (https://www.gravitiq.com) is the leading acquirer and scaler of digitally native e-commerce brands that provide health-related products. We are on a mission to build the next-generation consumer healthcare company by significantly optimising these brands and in the process enabling consumers to take better control of their health.
Our team includes world class e-commerce operators who have built an 8-figure Amazon business, as well as experience from medicine (as doctors), M&A law (Latham & Watkins), investment banking (Citi) and management consulting (McKinsey & Company). To date, we have raised $55 million from leading investors including Co-Venture and Crossbeam. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a high-growth start-up in an exciting space.