Financial Institutions Coverage Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 21 Mar 18 2018-03-21
Societe Generale is one of the largest financial services groups in Europe and has been serving the needs of its clients in the UK for more than 100 years through a range of businesses: corporate and investment banking to private banking, asset management, and securities services, as well as specialised financial services including vehicle and equipment finance.
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department - Summary of the business, coverage, services
CORI is the Coverage and Investment Banking division of SGCIB. It offers a global advisory approach focused on strategic dialogue with clients. CORI offers clients the whole range of services offered by SG CIB and the Group, with a particular focus on investment banking and commercial banking activities. CORI provides tailor-made solutions to corporate, financial institutions, the public sector and family offices.
CORI/FIG is in charge of the relationship and develop business with SG's Financial Institution clients. The team is composed of senior bankers and Senior Relationship managers who are assigned a portfolio of clients and whose primary operational responsibilities are to:
• Manage the overall client relationship in order for SG to be seen as a long-term partner
• Build network across C-suite, decision-makers, dealers and facilitators
• Understand client requirements, identify gaps in coverage, and work with front office salespeople to pitch suitable solutions and services
Develop detailed client plans to establish pipeline opportunities/ priorities for resource planning
• Promote cross-selling, diversify revenue streams to support sustainable long-term business flow
• Supporting business lines on risk related issues
Summary of the key purposes of the role - Summary of the key objectives and primary goals (minimum 3)
• As an Associate you will work directly with the London FI coverage team and who are responsible for managing the coverage of a broad range of SG's financial institution clients. CORI FI offers financial institutional clients the whole range of services offered by SG CIB and the Group, with a particular focus on investment banking, commercial banking and global markets activities. CORI FI provides tailor-made solutions to financial institutions covering banks, insurance companies, asset managers, pension funds, Sovereigns, Supranational institutions and other financially regulated entities and certain family offices.
• Primary responsibilities:
• Bring support during the whole life cycle of the client/prospect relationship, which includes:
Working with the relevant Banker/SRM to understand client requirements and opportunities, identifying gaps in coverage, and working with colleagues from all other business lines to market suitable solutions and services
Planning and overseeing the work of Analysts and trainees in the team as well as training them in relevant techniques, products and processes
Developing and executing detailed client plans to establish pipeline opportunities/ priorities for resource planning, considering the overall attractiveness of clients and capital allocation
Driving market share, promoting cross-selling by all SG business lines, diversify revenue streams to support sustainable long-term business flow
Manageing, with the relevant PCRU, client or BL driven requests for credit lines including working with CCG & RISQ as required and preparing detailed submissions to RISQ and developing a good understanding of the products involved.
Working with Legal, Oper and other support functions as required to ensure that our client business is not impacted by documentation constraints etc
• Contributing to the Client Profitability monitoring by:
Being responsible for the review of client profitability, both achieved and estimated, for the whole dedicated clients' portfolio.
Updating and maintaining the client reference tables in internal referential systems (creation and updated of client group structures in CRM systems and any profitability-related analysis.)
Contributing to the Counterparty Risk follow-up.
• Support origination and structuring of financing-CBA transactions with a follow-up on the booked operations.
• The individual will also be expected to:
Play an active role in our coverage of certain clients as well as be involved in transaction executions, RfPs or similar exercises. This will entail working with client junior coverage teams
Develop and maintain a strong internal working relationship across key partner Business Lines or functions within SG including GLFI, MARK, SGSS, GTB and RISQ, OPER and KYC teams
Be involved in SG's origination and execution of other investment banking products, in particular in M&A, debt and equity & equity linked, working with other product / business line experts as required
Demonstrate a strategic perspective: develop an understanding of the key strategic drivers affecting our clients and what this means for how we should approach our client coverage. As part of this the candidate will be expected to develop financial modeling skills (eg. bank capital models)
Summary of responsibilities - Minimum of 6 responsibilities to be identified
• Perform economic and financial analysis on key clients and prospects.
• Conduct industry research including: peers analysis, sector/country studies.
• Prepare presentation and marketing materials for use in client meetings and transaction execution, covering topics such as financing alternatives, capital markets activity, capital structure advice, treasury services, and derivatives.
• Conduct internal reviews and follow up action plan per client/portfolio: analyze business potential and cross selling opportunities, participate in meetings with salespeople to identify the opportunities/gaps.
• Monitor Market trends and track client performance.
• Understand the impact of new regulation, market evolution on Financial Institutions clients and SG offer (AQR, Basel III, Solvency II, and MIFID).
Level of autonomy and authority - Define the autonomy of the role and what the job holder can authorise and make decisions on - If applicable
Some autonomy, but always working under senior supervision
Competencies - Define a minimum of 10 skills and technical knowledge that are essential for the Job holder to have
• The position requires a self-confident person who is a self-starter; highly motivated and reliable, with strong team spirit, well organized with good attention to detail
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Proven ability to establish and build internal and external client networks
• Bachelor or Master's degree in Finance or Business Administration
• Previous experience in FIG essential including exposure to Investment Banking products
• Written and oral fluency in English is essential and French helpful
• Ability and motivation to evelop an understanding of the key Bank & Insurance strategic dynamics and other factors (eg. Regulations) driving client needs (Basel 4, Solvency II, LCR, etc.)
• Strong technical / analytical skills plus very good command of MS Office
Ideally good command of Bloomberg and Reuters
• Risk culture : Develops good knowledge on major risks related topics: credit, operational, reputational, compliance. Strictly respects internal procedures