Financial Markets Advisory Group – Markets & Analytics Associate
- Not Specified
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 18 Aug 18 2018-08-18
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.317 trillion in assets on behalf of
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.317 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
Introduction to BlackRock’s Advisory Business:
BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory (“FMA” or “Advisory”) group provides counsel to financial institutions, regulators, financial sponsors, central counterparties and government entities on their most critical and often most complex issues. FMA acts as a trusted advisor to our clients focusing on balance sheet, risk & regulation, capital markets & transaction support, and data & analytics issues. FMA leverages BlackRock’s global capabilities to deliver superior advice and integrated solutions.
The FMA group was established in 2008 to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. Since its founding, FMA has completed over 500 assignments for over 225 unique clients in 31 countries. The FMA team is regularly called upon to address our clients’ most unique challenges. FMA provides financial, experiential, educational, and promotion opportunities to attract, retain and develop some of BlackRock’s most outstanding talent. We presently conduct our activities through about 300 professionals located globally, principally in London and New York with office locations in Athens, Budapest, Charlotte, Dublin, Frankfurt, Gurgaon, Milan, Washington and Zurich. The FMA group operates behind an informational barrier separating it from the firm’s traditional portfolio management activities. This creates a conflict-avoidant environment and further serves to protect client data and proprietary information.
Introduction to FMA’s Market & Analytics Group:
The Markets & Analytics Group (“MAG”) within FMA is the global function accountable for developing a strategic and innovative approach to the capital markets, analytical, modelling and technological components of client engagements. The group has a wide range of responsibilities across the life of FMA’s processes and client assignments including, but not limited to:
- Driving the design and execution of analytical processes within engagements, working in concert with subject matter experts, engagement managers and other engagement team members
- Providing capital markets content, including asset class expertise and transaction support capabilities, across engagements
- Supporting commercial momentum across all aspects of FMA, playing a key role in the client business development and service development processes
- Serving as the central point of coordination with other relevant constituencies at the firm spanning financial modelling, code development, technology, operations and capital markets functions to assist with project design, execution, and delivery, including overseeing the strategic deployment and coordination of resources
- Providing execution and oversight on the quality of all analytical deliverables across the department, through the development and execution of a consistent quality assurance process
We are seeking a motivated candidate to join our FMA team as a MAG Analytics and Modelling Associate working closely in a team environment to develop and implement solutions that address our clients’ business needs. Our client base includes some of the largest, most sophisticated financial institutions in the world as well as government institutions providing our staff with diverse and challenging work experiences.
Assignments for this role will focus primarly on the following types of clients:
- Official Institutions and Government Entities
- Insurance Companies
- Financial Sponsors
- Central Counterparties
The candidate would assume the following responsibilities:
- Lead or support analytically driven client engagements requiring customized modelling or analytical developments or methodology validation advisory assignments, including model implementation and data analysis
- Contribute on project teams as an analytical or modelling expert, to support state of the art custom model development (including relevant analytics and reporting) to fulfil clients’ balance sheet and risk & regulation requirements
- Serve as a subject matter expert on modelling methodologies using to project the performance of balance sheet oriented institutions
- Develop expertise in FMA modelling and analytics capabilities, staying current on latest developments and trends
- Travel and work onsite with clients to understand their model development, validation, and data & analytical needs
- Prepare and review technical documentation and management-level summary materials on model methodologies
- Mentor junior team members to facilitate their continuous learning and development
- Contribute to BlackRock’s fiduciary culture of providing the highest quality service to our clients
The role is based in London with the opportunity to travel and support clients throughout Europe and globally.
- This role will provide significant opportunities for the successful candidate to apply and further develop both their quantitative and qualitative analytical and data expertise across multiple issues at the top of the agenda of financial institutions and regulators within the EMEA region
- The role will offer material opportunities for candidate ownership and responsibility of key areas of client deliverables and analytical content matter
- The role will require the build out and deployment of various analytical tools, approaches or prototypes to be delivered to and used by clients across multiple areas and platforms
- This role will provide scope for the candidate to develop their experience directing, mentoring and developing junior team members
- This role will offer material opportunity for the candidate to develop their commercial skills
Skills and Qualifications:
- Professional experience either in developing, estimating, implementing and/or validating models using underlying methodologies relevant for FMA projects (e.g. statistical, behavioural, structured finance and asset and liability analytic approaches)
- Experience with several scripting, data management, and / or visualization tools as well as programming languages, e.g. VBA, R, Python, SAS, and SQL
- Prior experience in code design and architecture (modularization) and use of collaborative frameworks to ensure consistency (incl. quality controls) of team production (incl. coding standards, code reviews and code repository)
- Strong analytical thinking and technical skills e.g. understanding of risk modelling, data management
- Proven track record of success in a fast-paced, team-based and goal-oriented environment
- Professional experience in a capital markets function is a plus
- Experience managing financial consulting projects is a plus
- Fluent English a prerequisite. Fluency in additional European languages is an advantage
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.<
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.