Front-end DeveloperAbout Octopus
Octopus is a fast-growing company with more than 650 employees. Since we launched in 2000, we've established market leading positions across financial services, healthcare and energy.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs.
Octopus Labs is the fintech innovation unit of the Octopus Group. We fuse track record and technology, expertise and UX, to build financial products the way they should be: trustworthy, rewarding and easy-to-use.
Our Tech Stack
We're moving our legacy frontend tech-stack of CoffeeScript, JQuery and Gulp to a more modern Webpack, React and Redux package. Our frontend code sits on top of a Python, Tornado and MySQL backend. Some our projects are hosted on Google App Engine others are in Kubernetes, and CI/CD is managed by Jenkins.
What we're looking for
- You have several years of experience on the job
- Have the desire to learn and grow as a developer
- Ability to communicate and contribute your ideas
- A good understanding of HTML and CSS
- Good knowledge of React and the ecosystem
- Experience with Sass
Nice to have skills
- Experience in Redux is a bonus
- You know how to use Webpack
- Some experience with a Python framework
- You've used CoffeeScript or JQuery in the past
- Knowledge of working in an Agile way (sprints, scrums, retrospectives)
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout the Octopus Group
- We're one of the largest VCs in Europe.
- We love entrepreneurs.
- We're happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 17 years ago and still run by the same founders we have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
- Flexible working hours - work form home /outside the office
- 10% of time to develop your skills or work on whatever you want
- Competitive salary and shares in the company
- Private healthcare with Bupa
- Benefits and discounts to certain stores
- Pension / Life insurance plan
- Standing desks
- Free tea, coffee, milk, and fruits
- Friday mornings coffee from outside the office
- Very diverse/multinational team
We're ideally looking for a candidate who can work from our offices in London, but are willing to consider:
- Someone in the commuter belt who would come in to the office 2-3 days per week, and work from home the remainder of the time.
- Send a brief cover letter and a CV
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place. So, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don't make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you've got a great idea, don't keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.