Front End Software Engineer
Job Description Business Unit: Reuters News Agency Location : London
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news provider, reaching more than one billion people every day. Over 2,500 journalists in nearly 200 locations around the globe deliver unparalleled international and national news coverage in 16 languages with speed, impartiality and insight to professionals via Thomson Reuter's desktops, the world's media organizations and directly to consumers on Reuters.com. Reuters stays true to the letter and spirit of the Thomson Reuters Trust Principles, ensuring independence, integrity and freedom from bias.
The Reuters News Agency licenses Reuters' news and services to the news industry. Our customers are broadcasters, print and digital publishers, corporations and governments. Reuters News Agency provides its clients with multi-media news solutions to reach their audiences. Our products include video & text feeds, pictures & graphics, packaged content and syndication services which reach billions of consumers around the world. Role Summary:
Reuters is seeking an experienced Front-End Software Engineer to be a part of a small team of high-performers. You will work on web interfaces and back-end services, deployed to our internal infrastructure as well as the public cloud.
These services help our customers discover and use our content or create and distribute their own content.
Some projects we have worked on and released recently are:
- Reuters Live Video - Global live video steaming network that enables customers to get live video through HLS RTMP or embedded video player.
- Reuters Connect - A single destination for purchasing all of our content, archival and new, using a Reuters Points.
We use modern technologies and frameworks like Clojure and ClojureScript, Reagent/React, Docker and Docker Swarm, AWS Lambda, Functional CSS and more. We're always looking and exploring new tools and technologies to find the best fit for the problem at hand.
The ideal candidate has deep experience with modern web stacks, familiar or is keen to learn functional programming, has architected modular front-end solutions, and understands newsroom workflows. Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
Technical /Professional Skills & Competencies: Essential Skills:
- Design, build, and test scalable web applications
- Explore and implement intuitive and compelling experiences
- Refactor or re-implement existing web UIs
- Estimate work scope and time and meet deadlines
- Review peers work and provide feedback
- BSc in Computer Science or similar field
- Knowledge of at least one web stack (Rails, Django, LAMP, etc.)
- Experience with React
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new tools, frameworks, and languages
- Comfortable with quickly addressing changing or new product needs to help seize business opportunities
- Deep understanding of user experience utilizing quantitative data
- Ability to clearly communicate design decisions and trade-offs
- Passion for writing clean, maintainable code with tests. Enjoy refactoring
- Professional experience in f ront-end software development
- Experience with Clojure/ClojureScript
- Regularly perform code reviews
- Automated cross-browser testing
- Functional programming experience
- Responsive design, CSS preprocessors.
- Led or contributed to an open source project (please provide a github link)
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com . Locations