At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
As a member of the HR Operations team the HR Assistant is responsible for providing a high quality, professional, proactive HR service that meets our customer and business needs. Working collaboratively and flexibly to deliver an efficient and solution- based service to employees and managers.
The role will support with the roll-out and logistics for all cyclical HR activities such as year-end salary review process, employee engagement survey. All roles within the HR team, including the HR Assistant, are highly visible roles across the company with the expectation that you will champion HR, service delivery and help build the profile of the function across the company.
About the Role
· Provide a comprehensive generalist administration support to the HRBPs and service to employees within the business through undertaking a range of day to day activities to include (but not limited to) onboarding, preparation of contracts of employment/extension of contracts; processing leavers, managing probation periods, promotions and family leave.
· Amending and drafting contractual and ad hoc letters, ensuring the content is accurate and appropriate for the circumstances.
· Documenting, reviewing and updating all HR transactional processes and procedures to create a HR Assistant working handbook
· Provide administrative support on all annual processes i.e. year end - preparation of total reward statements; housekeeping
· Management of the HRIS (Select HR) – ensuring data is accurately entered, reviewed and continuously updated
· To work with our appointed immigration specialist to manage all visa related activities in respect of employees that are sponsored under our Tier 2 Licence and ensure the Home Office SMS system is managed.
To contribute to the on-going review and improvement of HR operational processes ensuring the delivery of a customer focused, added value service.
What you’ll need to be successful:
· Working knowledge (intermediate level) of using MS Office products – particularly excel and power point
· Meticulous attention to detail
· Excellent communication skills both written and verbal – ability to draft own correspondence
· Excellent organisational skills, able to multi-task and remain clam under pressure
· A self-starter, able to demonstrate high levels of initiative and motivation, but also work closely with other team members
· Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in a changing work environment
· Ability to build good working relationships with a strong commitment to customer service
· Awareness of relevant employment legislation as it is related to the role.
· Ability to deal with information confidentially and sensitively.
And to really stand out from the crowd:
· Confident individual with a proactive attitude who is able to regroup and reorganise when goal posts move.
· Ability to analyse data and present summary information in a clear and concise format
· Diligent and dependable with a passion and will to succeed
· Able to pick yourself
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.