Head of Assignment
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 14 Jul 18 2018-07-14
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation.
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department
IGAD (comprising General Inspection and Internal Audit) is responsible for Internal Audit activity for the Societe General Group. IGAD carries out independent reviews of operational entities, aiming at ensuring in an objective, thorough and impartial manner the compliance of the Group's operations, the level of risk actually incurred, the enforcement of procedures and the effectiveness and relevance of the corresponding permanent control set up.
IGAD issues recommendations in order to better manage risks and, besides, increase the efficiency of the Group's activity. The Audit teams cover all the risks of the jurisdictions they are in charge of. General Inspection, besides audit work, develops strategic views and may conduct consulting assignments for all sectors and activities of the Group. In order to achieve their missions, both the audits and the Inspection department work together to an annual risk assessment and intervention plan. Once the assignments have been performed, the teams have to follow up on the correct implementation of the corrective actions implemented by the auditees.
The Audit teams carry out audit assignments aimed at ensuring the effectiveness of the internal control system, specifically:
- monitoring the application of internal or external procedures and regulations;
- assessing the security of the processing;
- the quality of accounting and financial data; and the alignment of IT systems with the needs of the entity.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
• Complete planning, execution and reporting of audits both within the covered locations mainly or as a team member of the assignment
• Perform projects and special assignments as required
• Ensure timely and complete follow-up (review, validation, and documentation) of outstanding audit recommendations
• Coaching and supervision of less experienced staff
• Work closely and maintain a good level of interaction/ co-operation with auditees as well as with direct team members and Auditors of other locations.
• Actively participate and/or perform the yearly risk assessment as supervised by Audit Directors and Regional Supervisors.
Summary of responsibilities
1. Performing audit assignments:
As Head of assignment, ensure that:
Audit assignment Planning – Effective and efficient diagnostic work on audit is performed.Audit assignment execution – Audit work if properly assigned to team members and monitored, ensuring that less experienced team members execute their work in accordance with departmental standards.Fully adhering to departmental assignment management requirements, e.g. Toll Gates process.Complete audit assignments within assigned budgets and agreed time lines.Audit assignment reporting - Deliver well written and clear audit reports (Head of Assignment has ultimate responsibility).Manage the staff evaluations process on assignments, ensuring that assignment staff objectives are set for all auditors on their assignments (in line with individual development objectives), and ensuring that honest, constructive and timely feedback is provided. Timely escalation of any staff performance issues to the Regional Supervisors/Audit Director / Audit Management.
As assignment team member when required:
Execution of audit work on business audits in the locations covered by the UK regional team.Participation in Audit Diagnostic work under the supervision of Heads of Assignment.Audit testing in accordance with test plans assigned by Heads of Assignment.Document audit issues and all work papers in standard departmental formats and perform operational debriefs to auditees in conjunction with the Head of Assignment.Follow up outstanding audit recommendations until implementation.
2. Occasionally, perform other Projects and perform Special Assignments
· For example, on Assignments requested by Audit Management, with other SG Audit departments or with Inspection Générale.
· From time to time Audit management may assign specific tasks related to the organization and running of the department, e.g. some projects related to various aspects of departmental efficiency and effectiveness.
3. Proactive follow-up of outstanding audit recommendations until implementation:
· Timely and rigorous (i.e. reviewed, validated and well-documented) follow-up of allocated audit recommendations until completion
· Anticipation and identification of delays and issues in relation to deliverables
· Appropriate escalation and active assistance in the resolution of issues raised during the recommendation implementation process
· Reporting on recommendation follow up status to Audit Management on a regular basis.
4. Coaching of less experienced audit staff:
· Provide assistance, advice and practical training to less experienced colleagues on both the audit process/ methodology and SG businesses and products
5. Actively participate and/or perform the yearly risk assessment, which is the basis for the preparation of the yearly Audit plan when required.
· Fulfil all quality standards expected as defined by Audit Director / Audit Management and QA.
· When assigned responsibility for other audit staff, ensure that departmental quality standards are adhered to.
7. Conduct and Ethical Standards:
· Responsibility for ensuring that you are fully aware of and adhere to internal policies that relate to you, your business or other businesses for which you have any level of responsibility. It is your responsibility to ensure compliance with operational risk or compliance requirements (e.g. security policies and regulatory requirements).
· Responsibility for reading, understanding and complying with the Company's Conduct and Standards and corresponding regulations. You will be notified of changes to policies in a timely manner through announcements and/or intranet updates.
· Act with integrity and due skill, care and diligence in carrying out your duties. Your actions should always be able to satisfy high standards of scrutiny and professional practice standards defined by the IIA.
· You are expected to comply with the requirements of the IGAD Handbook, IGAD UK Local policies and procedures and International Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Standards.
· All audit staff are required to sign the IIA Declaration of Professional standards and Code of Ethics on an annual basis. You sign to agree conformance to the following rules of conduct:
· Shall perform your work with honesty, diligence, and responsibility.
· Shall observe the law and make disclosures expected by the law and the profession.
· Shall not knowingly be a party to any illegal activity, or engage in acts that are discreditable to the profession of internal auditing or to the organization.
· Shall respect and contribute to the legitimate and ethical objectives of the organization.
· Shall not participate in any activity or relationship that may impair or be presumed to impair their unbiased assessment. This participation includes those activities or relationships that may be in conflict with the interests of the organization.
· Shall not accept anything that may impair or be presumed to impair your professional judgment.
· Shall disclose all material facts known to you that, if not disclosed, may distort the reporting of activities under review.
Shall be prudent in the use and protection of information acquired in the course of your duties.
· Shall not use information for any personal gain or in any manner that would be contrary to the law or detrimental to the legitimate and ethical objectives of the organization.
Level of Autonomy and Authority
• Able to make decisions on individual assignments. However assignments are subject to review at all stages by Supervisor/Head of Department
• No delegation to express internal audit 'opinion' without prior clearance by Audit management
· Able to perform audit work with sufficient autonomy, organisation and responsiveness to conduct assignments efficiently.
· Strong understanding of the audit process and methodology - rigorous and reliable in the audit approach.
· Good understanding of banking and financial products (significant Capital Markets experience), Financing Business as well as Resources Functions.
· Strong analytic and synthesis skills
· Good project management skills and efficient management of time.
· Able to manage priorities, deadlines and budget constraints.
· Coaching skills – Able to manage and coordinate efficiently a team of auditors with different levels of experience and differing backgrounds. Able to articulate clearly the audit's objectives, timeframes and priorities. Coordinates tasks and supports members of the team.
· Good knowledge of standard IT tools such as MS Office suite.
· Compliant with confidentiality requirements.
· Thorough accounting knowledge.
· Good writing and presentation skills
1 Management Skills Y
2 Operational Skills Y
3 Regulatory Skills Y
4 Communication Skills Y
5 Flexibility - Adaptability Y
6 Ability to make decisions Y
7 Ability to work under pressure Y
8 Analytical skills Y
9 Initiative Y
10 Leadership Qualities Y
11 Teamwork Y