Head of Communications Security and Assurance
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP is the UK's largest government department. We deliver products and services that are used by millions of people in the UK, every day and at key moments in their lives. We are looking for a talented Head of Communications Security and Assurance to work with us on a once-in-a-generation digital transformation of these services.
DWP Digital is the name of our growing community of digital experts. Using fresh ideas and leading edge technologies - and putting the user at the centre of everything we do - we create innovative, scalable and secure digital solutions that make a difference to the lives of our 22 million users and to our amazing DWP colleagues.
Delivering World-class Protection
As our Head of Communications Security and Assurance you will be leading the management of Crypto within DWP in line with Government classifications, standards and policy.
You will build and cement the requirement of delivering Internal audit, with specific focus on the detection and investigation of potential indicators of compromise or malicious activity.
You will lead the positive development of working relationships with a range of key security stakeholders to provide assurance and ensure appropriate escalation of any potential abuse. You will act as the partner security officer for Rosa.
The successful candidate must have or be willing to undergo appropriate Developed Vetting (DV) as this is a requirement for this role.
Operational Capability team provides support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and as a result, the job holder will be expected to work as part of an on call rota, which may also attract occasional out of hours working, and may include travel to different DWP sites and government agencies and occasional overnight stays.
Duties. Work. Projects.
- Oversee the strategic alignment and delivery of Cluster specific CRYPTO materials, in line with HMG standards and policy.
- Lead Cluster organisations to establish appropriate improvement plan to achieve their business objectives.
- Manage the Crypto programme to identify and apply governance for the management of Commercial key material within the CSU3 estate. Overseeing the control and management of CRYPTO and Rosa ICT systems, including rigorous and regular audits.
- Build knowledge across CRC functions to understand emerging threats and risks. Using that information to lead the development, implementation, automation and in depth analysis of reports and dashboards, using the latest analytical tools, including SIEM, to identify both non-compliance and inappropriate activity.
- Lead a range of training session targeted to the internal assurance/ Crypto functions to coach and develop team in order to build knowledge, expertise, and resilience within the team.
- Inform and influence the development of monitoring systems and supporting processes and playbooks, ensuring systems are in place to review and continually improve existing capabilities.
- Act as deputy STRAPSO and Line Management responsibility for SEO/ HEO.
What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
- Strong experience of collaborating with multiple stakeholders and managing multiple priorities to respond flexibly and effectively to competing demands, balancing priorities accordingly to deliver a secure service.
- Experience of working with COMSEC accounting with experience of conducting COMSEC inspections and knowledge of COMSEC Custodian requirements.
- Experience of all aspects of security (Physical, Information and Personnel).
- Experience of proactive interrogation of activity captured in system audit logs and across large data sets to quickly determine if systems have been compromised and to support decision making regarding further action if required.
- Knowledge of multiple technical environments including Threat Intelligence, Data Science, System Admin Controls, Cyber Security Monitoring, System Assurance, and the tools used.
- The following criteria are desirable - not essential. DWP has a comprehensive Security Profession learning and accreditation offer and prioritises investment in building skills and experience as part of our wider employee value proposition.
- Knowledge of Rosa and STRAP.
Details. Wages. Perks.
You'll join us in our brilliant hub in London: https://careers.dwp.gov.uk/our-locations/
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £64,656 a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working
- Family friendly policies
- Volunteering and charitable giving
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it's even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application. If you want to talk about this opportunity before you apply contact me via