Head of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Hazel Cameron Associates Ltd
- 04 Jul 18 2018-07-04
The Head of ERM is a newly created role, reporting directly to the CRO, whose remit is to oversee all risk management activities across the Group. The focus of the Head of ERM is to lead on Enterprise Risk Management, Operational Risk Management and Risk Governance. This includes both pension administration and Investment Management. The Head of ERM has ownership of the Operational Risk function and is responsible for the professional development of the team. The succesful candidate will lead the continued development of the Risk Governance framework to attain industry best practice standards and ensure a world class approach.
- Develop an industry leading team to deliver these objectives.
- Manage the professional learning and career development of the team.
- Proactively drive development of new techniques, controls, analytics and reporting, appropriately aligned with the needs of the business.
- Drive engagement and buy-in of senior management across the business with respect to risks and controls in their business areas. Ensure they have ownership of their risks and risk management processes.
- Drive senior management and risk owners to set tolerances, measure risks, maintain risk registers, update risk assessments and implement controls
- Provide guidance to teams and individuals to support their first-line risk management activities. This may include process development, report design, documentation, policy implementation, risk register review, etc.
- Network widely with risk professionals to keep up-to-date with emerging issues, new risks and relevant innovations.
- Actively participate in the Group Risk management team (the “Heads of Risk”). Work with risk colleagues to share information and perspectives.
Managing Processes & Future Focus
- Elevate the management of enterprise risk and operational risk across the Group to a more strategic level.
- Identify opportunities to match or exceed best practice by improving risk processes, policies, procedures, controls, reporting, analyses and the risk governance framework.
- Integrate ERM more fully into the Risk Governance framework, and evolve it to address the changing business, economic and regulatory environment.
- Actively contribute to the writing of papers, development of reports and presentations to various executive and non-executive committees.
- Develop and oversee end-to-end risk processes that cross team and organisational boundaries, often requiring the synthesis of business requirements and the coordination of multiple stakeholders.
- The successful candidate is likely to hold a strong Bachelor’s degree in a Science or other numerate subject.
- Experience with a financial services company (e.g., pensions, investment management, insurance, banking of financial consultancy) in a senior operational risk or enterprise risk role.
- Proven leadership and people management skills.
- A strategic perspective of risk and its management.
- Experience and in-depth understanding of risk management, risk policies, risk procedures, risk appetite articulation and risk governance.
- Experience of developing and implementing risk management strategies and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, escalate and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with senior management, along with excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- An advanced degree such as an MBA, MSc, or PhD, or a professional designation such as CFA would be advantageous but not essential.
- Strong working knowledge of the asset management industry and/or pension industry would also be an advantage.