Head of Sustainability
Who we're looking for
We're looking for a Head of Sustainability to drive transformational change across our business. Our focus for 2020 is climate change and mental health but in this role you will help us determine what we should focus on more broadly now and going forward.
We want someone who is committed to change. To develop, advocate, influence and execute our sustainability initiatives both internally and externally. We have a responsibility to be deliberate about change and invest in the ways in which we can contribute to solving the world's problems. As a global asset manager we are in the exciting position of being able to affect change.
You'll be busy, hands-on and can-do. Getting to know our processes inside out. Looking for ways to improve them. And working with business leaders across key areas of the Group to implement and advocate for change.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We integrate our sustainability research into the way we invest across asset classes and geographies. We don't stop at equities, but use our insights to inform decisions in other areas including fixed income and real estate. It's integral to everything we do.
Our ambition is to be a leader in sustainability. Transforming the way we operate as a company. Translating good intentions into serious business change requires ambitious leadership, determined management and an integrated, coherent vision.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
You will sit within Corporate Management and will be focused on the Sustainability agenda globally. This role supports the development, setting, execution and delivery of our Sustainability Strategy. You will work with and influence key stakeholders across the business in order to develop action plans and track progress against sustainability objectives efficiently and effectively.
You will be a member of The Sustainability Initiatives Group which is responsible for providing leadership and overseeing the change management implications of major initiatives in sustainability. The group is chaired by the Group Chief Executive.
What you'll do
• Lead the development, implementation and execution of Sustainability initiatives
• Provide support to key areas of the business in implementing change aligned to Schroders key initiatives and values
• The analysis of organisational data, identifying trends and themes and collaborating on resulting divisional initiatives,
providing advice and support on execution
• Collaborating with specified sustainability organisations and managing aligned benchmarking
• Ensuring sustainability initiatives are effectively communicated and marketed both internally and externally
• Promoting Schroders at select external sustainability related events/forums/meetings
• Liaising with external bodies that we are members of
• Keeping abreast of external sustainability initiatives, reading and researching best practices and putting forward
proposals for review
• Producing meeting materials for key strategic meetings and Management Committees
• Managing the Sustainability budget and actual spend tracking, manage spend and invoicing.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• An understanding of key ESG topics with sustainability experience and qualifications
• Sound knowledge of related legislation and international agreements (i.e. Paris Accord etc.)
• Ability to navigate and understand the rapidly evolving sustainability landscape
• Ability to present complex topics and concepts simply to a broad audience
• Previous analytical, data analysis and presentation skills
• Ability to balance time sensitive priorities efficiently and navigate in a matrix environment
• Strong ability to effect change, with experience in implementing sustainability initiatives and strategies
• Highly articulate with excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to tailor messages to different
• A passion for building new insights into the effects of global trends on company values
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Experience outside the financial services industry (we are looking for fresh ideas and innovation).
What you'll be like
• Creates a climate of trust, openness and respect and is able to relate well to others
• Resilient, approachable and confident
• Self-motivated and enthusiastic
• Results focused
• Leads by example
• High personal integrity
• A critical thinker who's able to look at things from different angles
• Keen to improve what we do, and how we do it
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating decisions
• An expert in your field with high EQ to be able to build relationships and support change both internally and externally.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.