Tradition is currently seeking to appoint a Head of Tax to be based within the London office to manage and lead the tax team to deliver a comprehensive tax service to the business, focused on the UK but with exposure to EMEA, as well as provide support and timely administration as required to the London Finance Department to ensure tax returns for the UK business and its overseas branches are accurate and filed on time.
Main responsibilities within the Head of Tax position include:
- Advice to the business concerning the tax implications of changes in the business, for example desk moves out of the UK, new activities, for example establishment of overseas branches, restructuring of the UK Group or new initiatives, this can cover one or more taxes for example, corporation tax, VAT, employment taxes, stamp duties and withholding taxes
- Advice to the business concerning the impact of new taxes or changes in tax legislation or practice, for example, digital services tax and off payroll working.
- Advice to the business concerning tax risk and management of risk.
- Updates for the business following the UK Government’s annual budget highlighting impacts for Tradition.
- Updates and/or presentation to the UK Board/Audit Committee/London Executive concerning key tax changes/documents, for example, new legislation such as the Corporate Criminal Offence, Off Payroll Working.
- Agreement with the Board and annual publication of Tradition’s UK Tax Strategy prior to the deadline.
- Provision of information and liaison with external audit concerning all taxes.
- Managing the relationship between Tradition and HMRC including regular phone and email contact with Tradition’s CCM at HMRC and half yearly meetings with HMRC and the EMEA CFO.
- Providing support to the EMEA business in relation to tax audits.
- Liaising with tax advisers as appropriate and agreement of fees.
- Communicating in an approachable, helpful and non-prejudicial manner in your dealings with employees, clients and/or customers as you will be regarded as a representative of your department as well as the Group
- Undertaking and passing all necessary training in line with the requirements of the role
- Adhering to all relevant legislation, regulations, rules and guidelines, and internal policies and procedures, including the requirements around preventing financial crime e.g. market abuse or money laundering
- Any other duties reasonably requested
Key skills, experience and competencies required to be successful in this role:
- Experience of working in a head of tax role or as deputy head of tax
- Previous experience of working at senior management/Board level
- Up to date knowledge of UK and EMEA tax legislation and practice
- Previous experience of dealing with tax authorities in particular HMRC at the Large Business Level
- Experience of working with the business to implement systems changes in response to new tax requirements
- Experience of managing the Senior Accounting Officer Process for a business.
- Experience of dealing with VAT in the financial services sector
- Experience of managing and supporting transfer pricing policies
- Dealing with tax disputes and assisting with tax audits.
- Employment tax experience
- Finance/Broking sector experience an advantage
- Hold required industry qualifications
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word)