Internal Audit Manager
- Negotiable GBP
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Contract, Full time
- 10 Sep 18 2018-09-10
Internal Audit Manager reporting the Regional Head of Audit and responsible for performing a combination of risk assessments, process and control reviews either individually or together with other team members across Front, Middle and Back Office Operations as well as the Support Group functions.
The Internal Audit team provides independent assessment and advice on the control and risk implications of the firm's activities. This is achieved most traditionally through the carrying out of internal audit reviews, but also through the involvement in business development projects, special investigations, and regular and proactive liaison with assigned business areas.
The individual will be required to be fully committed to the methodology employed by the function to ensure that real business benefit and buy in is obtained through the delivery of a very high-quality audit product and service. This will provide the successful individual with the opportunity to build strong relationships and reputations within a broad range of business areas and management levels.
Equally important will be the need to be a committed team player within the firm's Lines of Defence and will involve close ties with Risk and Compliance, Legal and Finance. Indeed, the Lines of Defence are careful to ensure that work flows are, where appropriate, integrated to ensure that an optimum product is delivered to the business. This will provide the individual the opportunity not only to develop their audit-based skills, but also to build up experience of compliance, risk and governance matters.
- Plan and execute and straightforward and less complex sections of the annual audit plan:
- Completes risk assessments in conformance with department standards, generally in moderately complex areas.
- Contribution to background research and planning of audits and reviews
- Input into Draft Audit Planning Memorandum, Risk Evaluation and work execution programme
- Complete Detailed Work Programmes and testing in with departmental methodology.
- Ensure that audit recommendations are in accordance with "best practice" but also consider whether they are practical and commercially viable. Where there is doubt discuss the detail with peers and Internal Audit management.
- Knowledge / understanding of the business and knowledge of the industry
- A Summary of Issues for presentation and review prior to the closing meeting with management
- A logical audit file for Peer / Manager review and presentation to external auditors
- Input into the drafting and finalisation of a quality audit report
- Build & maintain strong working relationships within Asset Management locally
- Assist in the administration of SOX Testing and walkthrough in line with process methodology
- Assist in the production of departmental reporting and management information.
- Review/investigate management advised closure of actions to ensure adequate implementation to address the original risk identified
- Due to the high-profile nature of the role, an individual with previous practical Risk Management / Audit Management experience (ideally within the investment management industry) is sought. Involvement in project-based work would also be beneficial. The following core skills / competencies are required:
- Strong communication skills, ability to analyse situations and present a balanced summary of issues, risks and actions.
- Possess a structured approach to problem solving and a clear and concise approach to report writing.
- Be self-motivated and organise and execute projects independently when working as part of a team
- Good experience (1 to 3 years plus) of Financial Services / Asset Management with an understanding of:
- Financial products (funds and fund structures) & services
- Operations, Compliance and Finance knowledge
- The ability to provide an effective, leading edge and value-added assurance and advisory service through demonstrating a well-developed commercial and regulatory awareness.
- The ability to manage relationships in key areas of the organisation and participate in reporting to senior management on key risks faced by the business.
- Proactive approach to understanding and keeping abreast of industry and regulatory developments.
- Accountancy or Internal Audit (CIA, ACA, ACCA) or similar qualification.
- Experience either with a professional firm of accountants (ideally financial services) or with the Internal Audit of another Financial Institution
- Work demands a logical approach, analytical ability, considerable initiative and knowledge of Asset Management processes. In addition, knowledge of the underlying products traded and their control reporting requirements is required.
- Commitment to continual professional development.
External: External Auditors, Industry Forums, external consultants
Internal: Senior and Middle Management, operational staff, Global RCS function, Risk, Compliance