The EMEA Finance team aims to be a strategic partner and advisor in achieving Silicon Valley Bank’s overall mission to increase our clients probability of success, supporting all of the Management information (“MI”), business analysis, financial reporting, Financial Control, Treasury and Tax activity for the EMEA division of SVB. This will be done by delivering greater insights to support decision making and set strategy to protect our business and deliver smart growth.
Due to the exceptional growth experienced, Silicon Valley Bank is going through the process of creating a subsidiary to continue our UK activities. We are therefore looking to hire a talented EMEA Tax Manager with breadth and depth of experience operating in a UK subsidiary.
The role will report into the Regional Controller in UK and the Controller of Corporate Tax in the US, and will have responsibility for all corporate income tax and indirect tax within the region including the current UK branch and future UK subsidiary, and a German branch, Rep offices in Ireland, Denmark, and Israel as well as supporting our ambitious expansion plans within Europe.
The successful candidate will oversee all income tax and indirect tax for EMEA and will:
• Prepare and review monthly, quarterly and annual foreign tax provision, tax book close, and foreign tax account reconciliations under US GAAP ASC 740 Guidance and local statutory reporting rules; ensure proper documentation for tax technical, tax accounting and SOX purposes
• Prepare and/or Review monthly, quarterly and annual income and non-income tax, estimated payments and tax returns for our EMEA operations; prepare and monitor monthly foreign tax accruals
• Effectively manage local tax controversies; gather and prepare appropriate supporting documentation
• Manage and review on a variety of foreign country tax matters, including but not limited to foreign income and non-income tax audits, document requests from foreign offices, BEPS related requirements and compliance, etc.
• Provide FATCA/CRS technical advice and provide guidance on effective operational process and documentation; manage and review reporting on FATCA/CRS, and Forms 1099, 1042, 1042-S when applicable
• Manage and/or assist with tax planning/strategy, projects/transactions, regulatory developments and legislative analysis depending on the circumstances and skill set required
• Respond to requests from other departments timely and effectively
• Research local tax issues related to operations in foreign countries and prepare supporting tax memos
• Establish effective tax control processes; drive a culture of continuous improvement around tax process, tax reporting/compliance, documentation and tax controls (including SOX compliance) to optimize the banks resources
• Serves as an active and valued business partner in regard to all corporate tax matters
• Applies professional-level technical knowledge, skills, experience, and judgment to accomplish results
• Carries out assignments received in the form of objectives and works with key stakeholders in developing goals and action steps that will meet those objectives
• Assist in other tax related projects as requested by tax management
• Keep abreast of current tax laws, regulations and practices. Identify changes that impact the business and communicate them to management
• Build and maintain strong relationships with US stakeholders and colleagues.
The individual may also undertake support strategic projects and all of this will mean engaging and working across a number of teams, at all levels, both within the UK and the US, where SVB is headquartered.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or equivalent. Advanced degree (MST/MSA) preferred.
• Extensive professional corporate tax experience, preferably with a major public accounting firm and multi-national company
• Strong tax technical skills and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of ASC 740 income tax accounting
• Excellent written and communication skills with an ability to influence, engage and explain to both senior and junior colleagues within the organization
• Ownership of areas of responsibility and accountability in providing accurate and timely deliverables
• Strong project management, vendor management and collaboration skills
• Highly motivated individual with ability to multitask and complete deliverables within time constraints and deadlines
• Experience with tax operations and ability to create strong support documentation of functions and drive process improvement
• Action oriented and takes initiative, able to work independently with limited general supervision, effectively prioritize and maintain focused, and contribute to multiple projects across a number of areas
• Jurisdiction familiarity with EMEA
• Experience with FATCA and informational reporting & withholding
• Corporate tax experience in banking is required. A good level of understanding of the UK commercial banking environment and product set and an ability to quickly gain a thorough knowledge of SVB’s bank operations and products