Investment Analyst – Listed Equities
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Puma Investments
- 13 Mar 18 2018-03-13
Due to the high levels of growth we have seen as a business as well as the increasing appetite from our clients for our products and services, an exciting new role has arisen for an intelligent, hard –working and motivated individual to join as an Investment Analyst to support our experienced Investment Director, Justin Waine. You should have a genuine interest in stock markets, companies, economics and investment philosophy. This should be combined with a degree of emotional detachment that is vital to the investing process.
Puma Investments is part of the Shore Capital Group, an AIM listed, investment banking group with a 30+ year history of successfully focussing on equity capital market activities, asset management and principal finance. We have offices in London, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Guernsey and Berlin. We manage over £900m across a variety of funds.
Puma Investments is a fund manager with a strong track record in:
- Growth Capital for UK SMEs;
- Property Finance;
- Listed Equities.
We raise our funds from a variety of sources including wealth managers and IFAs from the very large (eg SJP, Barclays Wealth, Cazenove) through regional players to the very small independents, from execution-only brokers and from HNWs. We also work with platforms (including Standard Life, Ascentric and Transact).
In particular, historically we have focussed on tax-efficient investments including Venture Capital Trusts (“VCTs”), Enterprise Investment Scheme (“EIS”) and Business Property Relief (“BPR”) qualifying offers. Indeed, we are proud to have been recognised and awarded for our various offers, most recently having won Tax-Efficient Group of the Year (Investment Week, 2017) and Best AIM Investment Manager for the last two consecutive years (Growth Investor Awards, 2016, 2017).
Our Business Development team’s approach is to assist advisers in helping their clients. We therefore take seriously the importance of understanding our markets and our products.
A business in growth mode
Puma Investments has grown significantly over the last 5 years.
We are now c.60 people across the full suite of functions. In addition, we benefit from being part of a larger Group able to draw on the substantial resource, brand and infrastructure of our parent, Shore Capital.
Within the Listed Equities division of Puma, we manage the highly regarded Puma AIM IHT Portfolio Service which invests in businesses admitted for trading on AIM that also meet the criteria to provide investors with relief from Inheritance Tax. In addition, we are seeking to launch a UK focussed OEIC building on the strong track record of the Puma AIM IHT Service and our leading fund manager, Justin Waine. This new vehicle will invest in UK listed companies in the small and mid-cap sector. The Listed Equities division is also responsible for certain internal investment mandates and from time to time supports other teams in their activities if its expertise is required.
As such, it is an exceptionally exciting time for our business: combining our already very strong track record with ambitious growth strategies, we have already developed our market share and are looking to build further on our success.
Who we are
The team at Puma are bright, ambitious and passionate about what we do. Our non-hierarchical and meritocratic approach results in a close-knit team with a unified goal. We believe that success is produced by and belongs to all.
In addition, while it is a given that rewards are highly competitive and based on performance, we also believe in benefits that reward you in a more rounded way; as an example, our team get their birthdays off and personal development grants (for sushi making classes, photography, golf lessons and any interests you have that make you, you). We also take our responsibilities seriously, actively fundraising for our chosen charity of the year through a variety of activities.
A brief introduction to the role
Due to the high levels of growth we have seen as a business as well as the increasing appetite from our clients for our products and services, an exciting new role has arisen for an intelligent, hard –working and motivated individual to join as an Investment Analyst to support our experienced Investment Director, Justin Waine.
You should have a genuine interest in stock markets, companies, economics and investment philosophy. This should be combined with a degree of emotional detachment that is vital to the investing process.
You will be expected to demonstrate strong analytical and numerical skills in order to help manage a highly successful portfolio with a track record of outperforming the market.
You will be working with Justin to analyse current and prospective investee companies and to assist in the portfolio management process. Whilst it is intended that Justin will provide significant training alongside the potential for support from the business for you to obtain external qualifications, the role would suit those with demonstrable experience of appraising businesses successfully in your career.
An important role within our business, you will work as part of a team to ensure the Puma Investments’ business successfully continues to thrive during the next phase of its growth.
The role will require exceptional numerical and analytical skills, attention to detail and a meticulous approach. Responsibilities include:
- Working with the Investment Director in the continuous process of appraising existing investments through the analysis of company results, trading statements and other news flow.
- The sourcing of new potential investments, performed through quantitative and qualitative analysis. This will mean building financial models on the companies and providing written investment cases, which will be subject to critique.
- Meeting and engaging with companies to understand how their business works and the sustainability and threats to their business model.
- Acting as a sounding board for the Investment Director in the selection and monitoring of investments for the portfolios and funds managed by the team.
- Assisting in the process of portfolio administration and management including assisting the Investor Relations Teams to on board new clients and invest their funds in the relevant portfolio/fund; monitoring the portfolio management tools and third party investment platforms to ensure funds are deployed as intended; assisting the accounting team to ensure all revenues are booked correctly.
- In collaboration with the Investment Director, Investor Relations and Marketing Teams assisting in the production of investor fact-sheets and reports, product specific marketing material and external third party reviews of our products.
- Assisting in the provision of due diligence for potential introducers/advisers.
- Once sufficient experience has been accrued, working with the Business
- Development team to promote our products to Financial Advisers and their clients.
- A genuine interest in investing and how companies work.
- Intelligence, energy and integrity. The most important of which is integrity.
- The requisite emotional detachment to be a successful investor.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills.
- Expertise in creating and analysing financial models or the willingness to acquire it.
- Experience of appraising companies (in particular listed businesses) with a preference for small and mid-cap experience would also be useful.
- Flexible and adaptable in meeting the requirements of the role and the needs of the client.
- To meet the regulatory requirements to be registered CF30 with the FCA within the probationary period.
If you are interested in investing, hard-working and honest we would like to meet you.