Legal Research Analyst
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- IHS Markit
- 21 Aug 18 2018-08-21
Legal Research Analyst
IHS Markit (IHSM) seeks a London-based Legal Research Analyst to join a multi-disciplinary team which provides analysis and insight of petroleum E&P (exploration and production) terms and above ground risk to investors and regulators in the international petroleum industry
The successful applicant will research, analyse and communicate a wide range of commercial, economic and legal issues which affect petroleum E&P in order to contribute to a long-established multi-client service as well as one-off consulting assignments
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Monitor, acquire, examine and evaluate legislation and investment terms (model contracts, bid round documentation and similar official papers) for petroleum E&P within a defined geographic region (e.g. Sub-Saharan Africa)
- Create and update written reports on the above in a clear, concise and consistent manner following established routines and company standards
- Contribute to client-specific projects, webinars and presentations and collaborate with Upstream Consulting colleagues on bespoke projects
- Research and draft ad hoc reports on emerging legal and fiscal changes and trends, contributing to special reports and internet-delivered presentations where appropriate
- Pursue and develop innovative analytical approaches which can deliver value to our clients
- Law Degree (required)
- Degree in Petroleum Law or Petroleum Economics (desirable) - we would be willing to consider candidates without an LL.B if they have an LL.M in oil and gas law (or similar degree)
This is a challenging role which requires a thorough understanding of legal and contractual terms governing upstream operations worldwide and therefore the ideal candidate should have:
- A minimum of two years' legal work experience - ideally in the upstream petroleum sector - including a familiarity with researching energy legislation (preferably in more than one jurisdiction)
- Experience in, or knowledge of, upstream petroleum economics is desirable
- Excellent legal research and analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; the candidate has to be able to write in English with a very high standard of grammar and spelling
- Precision and attention to detail are critical requirements, as is the ability to describe complex issues in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work collaboratively within the immediate team and across different disciplines within the organisation at multiple levels
- Competency in standard Microsoft Office products, especially Word and PowerPoint
The Company - IHS Markit (NASDAQ: INFO)
IHSM is a world leader in providing critical information, analytics and solutions for the major industries and markets that drive economies worldwide.
The company was formed in July 2016 by the merger of IHS (an information provider to the energy, chemical, automotive, aerospace & defence and maritime sectors) and Markit (information provider to the financial services sector).
Headquartered in London with more than 13,000 colleagues in 165 offices in more than 30 countries around the world, IHSM has more than 50,000 key business and government customers, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500 and the world's leading financial institutions.
It is the policy of IHS Markit to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, IHS Markit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. For candidates in the US, we are a participant in E-Verify (see link below).
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Right to Work
Pay Transparency Policy
Current Colleagues If you are currently a colleague with IHS Markit please apply internally via Workday.