Macro Strategist, Global Fixed Income
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION THE COMPANY
Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management Company, LLP is one of the world's largest independent investment management firms. With over US$1.3 trillion in assets under management as of 30 June 2021, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 50 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span nearly all segments of the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative culture of inclusivity because we believe that multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise. THE TEAM
The Global Fixed income platform manages a total AUM of $72.6bn, made up of 146 portfolios and 236 client relationships. The Alternative Investments team is made up of 46 members of the team globally, with 21 team members in EMEA, 21 in USA and 4 based in APAC. The portfolios are managed by Wellington Management's dedicated team of 31 specialised Global Fixed Income Portfolio Managers and 5 Macro Strategists who have an average of 20 years' experience in the industry and an average of 9 years at Wellington. Each portfolio manager is responsible for generating investment ideas in their area of expertise, which is either market sector, strategy, or regionally based. The Group's mission is to provide a macroeconomic framework for investing, and more specifically, to translate macroeconomic research into top-down, alpha-generating investment insights that benefit Wellington's client portfolios. THE POSITION
We are currently seeking to recruit a Macroeconomic Strategist to join our Global Macro Strategy Group, which is a part of the Global Macro investment team within Wellington's Alternative Investments division.
The Macroeconomic Strategist will work within a team of Macro Strategists to provide global insights and across country comparisons. The Strategist will aim to generate investment ideas for portfolios and contribute to the management of global portfolios for Wellington Management's clients around the world. As an active member of the Investment Platform, the Macroeconomic Strategist will be expected to provide themes and investment recommendations to Portfolio Managers by producing research and inputs to a range of investment processes, which is critical to investors throughout the firm globally. This role will be based in London. RESPONSIBILITIES
The general responsibilities of this role include (but are not limited to):
* Macroeconomic expertise
- Monitoring, interpreting, and anticipating key trends and inflection points for economic growth, inflation, profits, currency, and economic policy. The Strategist will have a deep understanding of the macro economy as well as political developments and governance trends. The role will include analysis, forecasting and assessment of key factors impacting global economies and the ability to bring unique perspectives on both cyclical and structural factors is essential. Identifying key thematic trends in the economy is also important;
* Investment acumen and passion
- Supporting the mission of Global Macro Strategy at Wellington by focusing on global financial markets to translate macroeconomic research into investable ideas that are applicable across asset classes. Passion for investing will lead the Strategist to be a meaningful contributor to the strong macroeconomic dialogue and culture of the team and firm;
* Superior collaboration and communication skills
- The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor to dialogue within the highly collaborative Global Macro Strategy team. The Macroeconomic Strategist will build strong, trusting relationships internally with colleagues to identify top-down investment opportunities for client portfolios. The ability to present macro views is critical, as is humility and a desire to address questions and learn from others, along with welcoming the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to clearly communicate (both verbally and in writing) insightful and accurate views, and investment opinions, is important. OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate is likely to have the following qualifications:
* A strong academic background, including a Masters (or equivalent) level degree in Economics or a related fields such as Finance/Business;
* Approximately 5-10 years of relevant professional experience, gained in a financial institution or central bank, ideally in a macroeconomic analysis role (Economist/Strategist);
* Demonstrable analytical skills, and knowledge of economics and financial markets;
* The ability to think creatively and flexibly;
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
* The ability to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced and team-oriented environment;
* High ethical standards.
Please note that we are only able to respond to successful applicants. SKILLS JOB TITLE
Macro Strategist, Global Fixed Income LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .