MicroServices Engineer, AVP
- Location: London, England, United Kingdom
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
MicroServices Engineer, AVPAlthough not a household name, State Street is one of the world's largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world's third largest investment manager with over $2.8 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
In January 2018, we launched one of the industry's largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn't greenfield in the way most banks claim projects are; we've started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We're using the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using: aggressive use of multiple public clouds, building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance, pushing out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world, leveraging immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data a day, transforming our industry through application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing, aggressively participating in open source communities driving our systems.
This isn't a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank, but solving real problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide (not just trying to get people to click on ads). We don't expect you to wear a suit, we don't expect you to not be able to tell your friends what you're working on, we don't expect you to sit in meetings 5 hours a day.
This role is for the technology team that is in charge of our microservices framework. We consider this, with our Unified Data Architecture, to serve as the application operating system for State Street, and covers everything that an application devops team would work with on a daily basis:
• We provide "kubectl as a service" across public and private clouds
• We manage everything else in our common Kubernetes infrastructure, including package management (e.g. Helm), networking (e.g. Calico), service mesh (e.g. Istio, Conduit)
• We provide standard infrastructure for both telemetry and log management, all the way through to application tracing and dashboards
• We provide standard CI/CD infrastructure
• We develop application archetypes and training materials and actively assist in helping application developers make the best use of this infrastructure
• We set policy and provide infrastructure for our new style of working, treating a Mac in a Starbucks the same as a desktop in a State Street office
• We are a geographically distributed team, including with fully remote workers
• We do all this in a true devops fashion with agile infrastructure and a follow-the-sun mandate
We are looking for strong engineers anywhere along the devops pipeline, from software designers to operation engineers across our different infrastructure and technology development streams.
• You will work with other members of your team to investigate feature requests, performed detailed analysis and specification (where required), implement, and test new functionality
• You will support a follow-the-sun operations approach working with colleagues across three continents
• If your experience is more on the operations side, we will expect you to be extremely conversant in Python as well as other operational and provisioning systems (like Ansible/Puppet/Chef)
• You will work in a truly agile way, all the way down to using agile infrastructure techniques
• You will diagnose, debug, and correct problems in live infrastructure, some of which supports our production clients
• You will interact with your peers across the Omnia effort across all teams to ensure that best practices are followed throughout the organization
• You will be an active member in the Open Source communities surrounding the technologies that we use on a daily basis
• You will help mentor more junior colleagues, including fresh college graduates
• We are open to fully remote working, but we have a preference for candidates located in one of our key next-generation engineering centres (London, Boston, New York City, Austin, and Belfast)
As we're hiring very rapidly for the right candidates, if you have experience or interest in any of the technologies we work with, we'd love to hear from you!
Successful candidates will:
• At least 5 years of experience. This doesn't have to come from working for a large firm, you just have to have experience in working on production-grade systems over time.
• A degree in computer science or equivalent experience acquired on the job.
• Experience in working on an Open Source project a definite plus
• Good English language skills
• Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company
Experience working in a financial services environment is not required or expected.