Newton - Group Manager – Data & Systems Management
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure clients' futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense - through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton's parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
News and other information about Newton is available at www.newtonim.com and via Twitter: @NewtonIM. What's on Offer?
Newton is a professional, friendly and collegiate place to work offering attractive benefits and opportunities for progression. The firm looks to attract individuals who are keen to work as part of a team, in a meritocratic environment, and who are driven to help make the organisation a great place to work. Newton employees are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful and collaborative. They are highly motivated to deliver performance and service to clients. Newton prides itself on being an employer of choice, with a commitment to diversity. Job Purpose
This role represents an exciting opportunity to join Newton's Engineering Group to lead Newton's data systems, BI and warehousing engineering and architecture cross functional team. We are looking for a highly talented technical leader to be part of our engineering leadership team to proactively drive the vision for Data Engineering and to build and grow the data team. A team which is focussed on strategic delivery, enabling business acceleration, growth and success.
This hands on lead role will allow the successful candidate to lead a team to deliver the overall architecture and design of our data platforms and solutions ensuring that they self-reinforce; ensuring we build the right elements and leverage the best available technology from our vendors and corporate partners in the most effective way while driving a brilliant and consistent customer experience
In this client facing role, you should be resourceful, energetic, and ready to hit the ground running. You'll need to thrive in a fast-paced environment and be ready to share ideas and fresh perspectives, by
- designing and delivering technical solutions with an emphasis on quality, automation and continuous integration.
- working in collaboration with peers and contribute to new technology discussions.
- building strong relationships with business stakeholders, collaborate on requirements, relationships and ensuring that the technology strategy is aligned with business goals and strategy.
- employing a growth mindset, learning new approaches, technologies and techniques
- calmly dealing with issues; being happy to get stuck in to help fix issues and assist in identifying causes and effectively dealing with them.
Qualifications Job Specific Competencies Technical Skills
- Leads Newton's data systems, BI and warehousing engineering and architecture cross functional team, setting the tone and values to ensure they can collaborate and deliver effectively in agile scrum teams with the rest of the organisation
- Works directly with the Head of Engineering, and other department leaders to proactively drive the vision for Data Engineering, aligning to the overall business and technology strategies - to define and execute on a plan to achieve that vision.
- Works in partnership with Data Governance to drive data ownership, availability and quality across our systems
- Collaborates internally with the appropriate teams; advise, coach and mentor members of the team and department
- Provides direction and has the autonomy and authority to resolve critical-situation technical problems at the team or department level
- Drives tangible and ongoing standardisation, simplification and efficiency of engineering processes, tools and methodologies. Overseeing, reviewing and revising continuous improvement opportunities.
- Continually looks to expand knowledge in new and evolving areas of data engineering, analytics and machine learning.
- Manage data engineers, coach, mentor, assisting in personal and professional development, by having career conversations, providing and eliciting regular feedback and helping individuals track their personal development.
- Set strategically aligned team goals through frameworks like KPIs and OKRs that build toward a cohesive collective roadmap
Ideally you'll be
- Deep technical knowledge of complex (and simple) data architectures, covering areas such as operations, scalability, compliance, risk & security.
- Detailed knowledge of how to apply the concepts and principles of leading data and software engineering practices
- Ability to assist teams in applying a range of techniques for data profiling and data quality and understanding of data policies and protocols, frameworks and patterns.
- Sound understanding and interest in applying data science techniques
- Strong leadership, with experience initiating and driving complex and impactful data and software projects
- Can prioritise and allocate resources and manage utilisation.
- Stays up to date with technology trends and is recognized as a data SME and informs about issues/new developments that relate to the strategy
- Able to navigate large corporate organisations, adopting a consultative and collaborative approach
- Able to influence senior technical and non-technical stakeholders
- An advocate of agile engineering principles with a drive for automation.
- A technical polyglot with experience of shipping production code across a full-stack environment.
- A fantastic communicator and collaborator keen to work closely across teams.
- An enthusiastic innovator and creative problem solver, with a passion for technology.
#LI-DB2 BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
United Kingdom-Greater London-London Job:
Asset Management Internal Jobcode:
Newton-HR06148 Requisition Number: