Newton - Principal, Regulatory Oversight Management
Newton Investment Management is one of BNY Mellon Investment Management's specialists, and are a London-based global investment house with expertise in a range of disciplines, including global, regional and emerging-market equities, multi-asset strategies, absolute return investing and global bonds. A global, thematic approach to investment helps them achieve long-term perspective on global financial markets and economies, and identify areas of long-term risk and opportunity. Their belief is that responsible investment is better investment for clients and they consider ESG (environmental, social and governance) issues in relation to every company in which they invest. Newton is part of BNY Mellon Investment Management, one of the world's largest investment managers. Our Values:
Trusted: We work in an open and honest way and with transparency. We do what we say we will do and work towards a common goal. We act with honesty and integrity and always do what is right. We make good informed decisions and act in the best interest of Newton and its clients. Our clients trust us to do the right thing.
Collaborative: We work together to create solutions for the benefit of the business and our clients. We recognise diversity and innovation as valuable tools in achieving our goals. We search out new opportunities and ideas by involving the right people in discussions and decision making. We welcome different perspectives in our pursuit of the best possible solution. We work in partnership with our clients.
Open-minded: We consider new ideas and strategies and identify new and different ways of being successful. We are flexible and open to change even when that change challenges our current viewpoint. We welcome different perspectives and diversity of thought to keep our approaches' innovative and current. We are curious about the opinions of others and recognise their contributions.
Accountable: We take ownership of our role in driving the business forward and meeting our business objectives. We own the explicit decision making process and acknowledge our successes and areas of development as a basis for improvements without blame. We have clear defined roles and work together to ensure hand offs and jointly owned functions are delivered effectively. We are empowered to work autonomously and take pride in our personal contributions.
Purposeful; We share a clear set of goals and strategies and work towards them collectively to fulfil our business objectives. We have a clear set of standards and approaches that provide context and guidance to our purpose. We are deliberate in how we work with our clients and stakeholders differentiating us from our competitors. We operate with clear intent delivering solutions as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Dynamic: We adapt to the changing market conditions and explore new and innovative solutions to support our clients changing needs. We encourage idea generation and progress new ideas and opportunities quickly. We are agile and flexible demonstrating a willingness to change to remain competitive. We are energised, enthusiastic and challenge how and what we do to remain relevant.
Entrepreunerial: We have the conviction to generate new ideas and recognise the need for experimentation and diversity of thought. We are agile and faced paced using effective decision making to agree and drive forward or dismiss and continue to search for a solution. We work with our colleagues, stakeholders and clients to create innovative future proof solutions and deliver them in a timely manner. We think like owners and recognise the personal contribution we make in supporting Newton's continuing success. Job Purpose
To be a senior member of the Newton Compliance team, providing compliance support to the business, as directed by the Head of Compliance, and to assist in the day to day leadership and mentorship of the compliance advisory team. Key Responsibilities
- Assist and support the Head of Compliance in the maintenance and the ongoing effectiveness of the Newton Compliance team as a second line of defence function.
- Provide advice and guidance to the business and key stakeholders with regards to FCA and SEC compliance requirements and respond to ad hoc business requests for assistance and providing regulatory advice in line with regulations and where appropriate, industry best practice.
- Provide regulatory analysis and identification of regulatory risks in the review of all existing and new business initiatives and developments and to represent the Risk and Compliance department at the Business Acceptance Panel (or equivalent) or business change working groups.
- Assist with the implementation of regulatory development/change projects, working collaboratively with the business to facilitate appropriate impact risk assessments, gap analysis and to ensure implementation requirements are executed to a high standard and in a timely manner.
- Provide advice and guidance regarding Market Abuse, in particular acting as MNPI and Market Sounding Coordinator in the receipt and assessment of incoming information, to determine materiality of information and act as a control for the receipt, administration and maintenance of MNPI/Inside information and market soundings.
- Assist the Head of Compliance in their role of MLRO in proving advice and support to the business on matters of financial crime.
- Assist and advise all parts of the business with regulatory audits and investigations, whether from global regulators, or Internal Audit.
- Be responsible for the preparation, review and completion of internal and external regulatory reporting as required, including corporate reporting to BNY Mellon Investment Management.
- Represent the Newton Compliance department at client meetings both pitching for new business or as part of the ongoing client relationship/ operational due diligence meetings.
- As a senior member of the team build a close working relationship with the business (UK and globally) and Risk & Compliance colleagues in BNY Mellon entities in various global locations.
2.Assist in the leadership of the Compliance Advisory Team
- To assist and provide day to day leadership, support and mentorship to the Newton Compliance Advisory team with the responsibility for advising and supporting the advisory team on all aspects of regulatory compliance required for a dual-regulated FCA/SEC investment management firm.
- Assist in the day-to-day activities of the Compliance Advisory Team including required sign-offs and approvals for client certifications.
- Ensure the team's maintenance and the ongoing effectiveness and implementation of all compliance policies and procedures, including the RCPP Manual, PTA and CODERAP administration.
- Be responsible for the team's ongoing maintenance, enhancement, development and delivery of compliance training programs and activities for the UK entities so that they remain current and UK and US employees have appropriate compliance knowledge and awareness.
- As a senior member of the team, to promote good conduct and culture by embedding high standards within the advisory team and wider function.
- Make an effective contribution to the Newton Risk department.
3.Contribution to governance
- Provide management information or deep dive analysis to governance committees and senior management to demonstrate compliance or to highlight issues or trends where appropriate.
- Assist the Head of Compliance in providing reports and escalation of issues as required to the Newton and BNY Mellon IM governance committees as required.
- Attend governance committees (e.g. Risk & Compliance Committee) or oversight groups (e.g. the Regulatory Analysis Oversight Group or Anti-Financial Crime Oversight Group), providing effective contributions as a representative of the Risk and Compliance Department.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in financial services compliance, with substantial experience within an investment management firm;
- A strong knowledge of the existing FCA regulatory framework is essential ( with experience of the SEC regulatory framework preferable); as is a comprehensive understanding of the investment management industry, services and products;
- Ability to be flexible in approaching complex subject matters and understanding the business needs in the context of regulatory requirements is essential;
- Being versatile with an ability to manage multiple priorities to completion without significant guidance or supervision;
- Have a practical and pragmatic approach to dealing with compliance matters;
- Effective leadership and interpersonal skills are required;
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving are required;
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills and the ability to succinctly convey information to senior management are required;
- Interest in regulatory developments with an ability to discuss regulatory developments in an open manner.
United Kingdom-Greater London-London Job:
Asset Management Internal Jobcode:
Newton-HR06148 Requisition Number: