Newton BI Analyst
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- BNY Mellon
- 22 Oct 17 2017-10-22
Newton BI Analyst
Newton Investment Management Limited is a London-based UK asset management subsidiary of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation. With assets under management of £54.5bn (as at 31 March 2017) the company provides a broad range of award-winning investment products and services to pension funds, charities and corporations. Newton has offices in London and New York. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newton.co.uk The Role: We are currently recruiting a BI Analyst to work as part of the Newton BI team and in close collaboration with business sponsors to understand and analyse requirements, ensure alignment with business goals and manage solution delivery. The individual is to help ensure the service is robust, follows agreed technology standards, and has appropriate transparency. The role is an ideal fit for an individual with a strong emphasis on business interaction skills in equal measure to technical skills & knowledge. From a technical perspective the role is 'end-to-end' encompassing data sourcing, aggregation and manipulation in addition to data presentation & visualisation. The successful candidate will:
- Act as a subject matter expert & peer of relevant business areas to which solutions are being delivered.
- Proactively manage relationships with business stakeholders to ensure relevancy and timeliness of delivery to business goals.
- Guide and advise the business towards BI self-service where appropriate to maximize efficiency while mindful of associated risks and best practices.
- Contribute to defining the BI roadmap for Newton. Help set out our strategic vision both in terms of services and extension to BI applications.
- Participate in an agile scrum process and collaborate with multiple teams within Technology and the broader organization.
- Participate in code reviews to monitor application development standards and software design techniques.
- Work with Project Managers and Business Analysts to agree development estimates and timescales. Communicate status to PMs and/or Business Intelligence Manager as required.
- Design and deliver end-user training and training materials; provide technical support as necessary.
- Ensuring code releases between environments adhere to Newton standards and practices.
- Ensure high levels of BI availability and quality through thorough support handover and in-depth testing. Also, ensure that potential opportunities, risks and issues are identified and, if necessary, escalated in a timely manner.
- Act as a point of contact with the Newton support team in relation to Business reports and infrastructure related issues
- Work with business and technical teams to reduce complexity where possible and recommend alternative approaches where appropriate.
- Engage with key business stakeholders, building relationships and ensuring that the technology strategy is aligned with business goals and strategy.
- Identify gaps and opportunities to use technology as an enabler for Newton, and minimise the need for UDTs (User Defined Technologies).
- Actively promote an ethos of continuous improvement and teamwork.
- Challenge convention at all appropriate opportunities, identify and propose improvements and ensure that nobody 'just does what they always did'.
- Provide regular communication and management information to management, business and technology stakeholders.
- Participate in appropriate forums, whether internal or external
- Ensure the requirements of treating customers fairly (TCF) are embedded within the team.
- Travel as demand dictates.
- Experience designing and building BI solutions using Tableau in an enterprise environment - working with business areas directly to understand requirements and deliver visualization solutions.
- Competence in designing data structures optimised for reporting purposes and SQL development experience ideally PL/SQL though we would consider development experience in other data-base platforms.
- Strong & demonstrable verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrable background in working closely with business stakeholders to deliver BI solutions.
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience of SAP Business Objects enterprise reporting stack especially universe development and report design in Webi in 4.1.
- Strong database design & data modelling skills.
- Exposure to enterprise ETL tools such as SSIS, MarkitEDM, Informatica, SAP-DS.
- Exposure to alternative enterprise BI tooling such as the Microsoft BI stack, QlikView, Pentaho BI, Microstrategy etc.
- Appreciation of UX techniques to optimise how requirements can be gathered & understood and how data can be visualised to achieve business goals.
- Appreciation of enterprise data management practices such as data governance, data quality measurement, reference data management, metadata management etc.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As one of the world's leading investment management organizations and one of the top U.S. wealth managers, BNY Mellon Investment Management combines agility, insight and scale to create and deliver strategies and solutions to address our clients' needs. Encompassing BNY Mellon's investment management firms, wealth management organization and global distribution teams, we draw on deep expertise to collaborate with clients and tailor our best ideas and resources to meet their specific needs. We pride ourselves on providing dedicated service through our network of global professionals who have a deep understanding of local requirements. With our extensive experience in anticipating and responding to the investment and financial needs of the world's governments, pension plan sponsors, corporations, foundations, endowments, advisors, intermediaries, individuals and families, and family offices, BNY Mellon Investment Management is dedicated to helping clients reach their goals.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 51575
Requisition Number: 1706333
Tags: EMEA: 23-B, 2-A