Newton, Business Analyst / Market Data Analyst - Trading
BNYM IM is the global investment management arm of BNY Mellon, one of the world's major financial services groups with operations in 35 countries. BNYM IM's goal is to build and manage investment strategies that address the ever-changing needs of its clients, through a model that offers the best of both worlds: specialist expertise through eight forward-thinking investment firms, offering solutions across every major asset class, backed by the strength, scale and proven financial stewardship of BNY Mellon. The 7th largest asset manager worldwide, with $2.2 trillion AUM (as of 31 March 2021) BNYM IM provides a robust corporate foundation, together with worldwide resources and administrative support, while its investment boutiques are free to concentrate on what they do best - delivering specialist and focused investment performance to clients. This structure encourages an entrepreneurial, focused approach to investment and creates an environment in which each firm can perform and build on its individual experience and strengths in the development of new products. Newton Investment Management
Newton is one of the BNY Mellon Investment Management (BNYM) family of eight boutique investment firms. It brings a 43-year track record of purpose-driven, global investing, working with its clients to deliver outcomes through long-term strategies, rooted in a responsible, theme-based approach to investing and fundamental research. Job Purpose
A business analyst/market data analyst to undertake data analysis and produce reports and recommendations to the Head of Dealing in relation to Order Handling and Best Execution following FCA regulatory standards, Newton Risk & Compliance Manual and Dealing policies and procedures, and to spearhead the ongoing research and process of optimising transaction costs associated with Dealing in Newton's investment processes. Key Responsibilities
• To build, maintain and improve the quality of trading analytics with third party providers, and internally with Newton Technology to build an "in house" solution for analysing transaction costs in the investment process
• To improve and deliver Order Handling and Best Execution reports across all asset classes for all orders across global markets
• Produce and enhance analytics/management information reports in relation to the portfolio management activity connected with trades with a particular focus on market impact and timing of transactions.
• Provide market information and activity to Portfolio Managers and all areas of the business where necessary.
• To assist in IT development for Dealing and improve the useability of dealing related software
• To improve and provide the MI pack for the firm's Dealing Oversight Group on a monthly basis
• Maintain competency with regular trading updates on all trading platforms
• To maintain a high level of compliance awareness in all aspects of trading and adhere to Newton Risk & Compliance policies with particular emphasis on TCF and Conflicts of Interest.
• To maintain internal relationships and provide support to the wider Newton community in respect to any dealing related queries, especially Client Relations.
• Regularly review the Newton Dealing Procedures Manual and keep abreast of changes to this and other dealing related policies.
• Challenge and upgrade current processes and procedures whist adding new ideas and initiatives to the team debate.
• Attend relevant industry conferences and counterparty led seminars to keep updated on market and regulatory developments.
• Keep CPD log up to date throughout the year.
• Raise profile of the Newton Dealing Team.
• Support and assist the Head of Dealing when necessary. Job Specific Competencies
People (team-working/collaboration skills)
• Fantastic communicator, collaborator and influencer keen to work closely with a wide variety of teams, both technical and business
• Experience of data analysis tools - advanced skills in Excel; data visualization tools such as Tableau and Visio
• Discover, understand and define stakeholder and product owner needs via workshops, meetings and interview. Playback the requirements using a variety of approaches including user stories and business process flows.
• Possess a deep understanding of market structure across all asset classes in order to assist the Head of Dealing in optimising the Best Execution feedback loop with portfolio managers
• Exceptional knowledge of investment management front office business processes, workflows and experience of business process re-engineering
• In depth knowledge of front office processes including portfolio modelling, trading and execution across all asset classes, including OTC derivatives
• Experience preferred of front office systems and electronic trading platforms such as Aladdin, Virtu Triton Valor, TradeWeb, MarketAxess, FXAll, FXConnect etc
Self (integrity and the ability to reflect confidence)
• Assimilate, translate and communicate business requirements in a clear and concise manner
• Exceptional problem solving skills and intellectual curiosity
• Passion for innovation and creative problem solving with an enthusiasm to encourage others
• Hungry to improve themselves and their working environment
• Confident engaging with senior management
• Comfortable challenging the status-quo and offering alternative solutions
• The ability to work well within a business focused delivery team
• Self-directed, adaptable, flexible and professional
Results (the ability to be proactive and take action)
• Be hands-on and enthusiastic to dive in at the deep end and help the front office teams to deliver the stakeholders' requirements within Newton's strategic vision
• Be the primary contact for the development team throughout the life cycle of a project, attending stand-ups, and creating high quality user stories BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.