Newton, Senior Product Manager
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- BNY Mellon
- 21 Jun 18 2018-06-21
Newton, Senior Product Manager
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure clients' futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense - through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton's parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
With offices in London and New York, Newton has £54bn (as at 31 December 2017) under management, including assets managed by Newton Investment Management Limited as dual officers of Newton Investment Management (North America) Limited and The Bank of New York Mellon. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newtonim.com and via Twitter: @NewtonIM
Newton employees are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful and collaborative. They are highly motivated to deliver performance and service to clients. Newton prides itself on being an employer of choice, with a flexible working environment and a commitment to diversity and opportunity among its employees.
Newton is a professional, friendly and collegiate place to work. The firm looks to attract individuals who are keen to work as part of a team, in a meritocratic environment, and who are driven to help make the organisation a great place to work.
The purpose of the Product Development & Management team is to ensure that Newton's product offering is efficiently managed, developed and positioned and that all Newton's obligations as investment manager of the BNYM & Newton branded Funds are met.
To fully leverage these opportunities, and to ensure the successful development of Newton's business strategy, Newton need to ensure that our relationships with internal BNY Mellon Fund Providers & Distributors are maintained at the highest possible standard.
The Senior Product Manager is a senior role within Newton Investment Management Limited reporting to the Head of Product Development and Management.
Product Strategy and Development:
- Supporting the Head of Product Development & Management to effectively manage and oversee the development of Newton's product strategy. This will involve working with the Newton Executive Management Group, the Product & Commercial Committee, the wider Commercial and Investment Team, Risk and Compliance to develop and define Newton's product strategy which will include reviews of existing products to ensure that these remain fit-for-purpose.
- Ensure that comprehensive product proposals, recommendations and specifications for new products are produced to a high and consistent standard, for senior management approvals.
- Assist the Head of Product Development & Management manage and oversee the product development and design process from Newton's perspective, including contributing to new product creation, being knowledgeable about relevant target market segment objectives and constraints, product structures, knowing key competitors and contributing to product positioning, pricing and capacity management discussions and decisions.
- Manage the product developments assigned to you from a Newton perspective linking effectively with the relevant departments within Newton and at the Fund Providers most notably the product development and management teams.
- Regularly reviewing existing products this will involve regular monitoring of performance, AUM and sales flows, TER/Ongoing charges etc. Collaborating with the Fund Providers as required.
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing, Investment Communications and Sales Support teams both within Newton and at the BNYM Fund Providers & Distributors to define and manage the core product messages for the product ranges and ensure that these are consistent with fund regulatory material.
- Ensure relevant reports are prepared and presented to relevant BNYM Fund Providers & Boards as required.
- Oversee the review and any implementation of minor amendments to funds/products e.g. new share class launches, changes to comparative indices/reference benchmark, minor amendments to Investment guidelines and derivative usage.
- Oversee the finalisation relevant information for use in fund factsheets and other reports as appropriate.
- Ensure that the Chares River coding for fund products is accurate and comprehensive in collaboration with the Newton Compliance and Investment Management Systems and Investment Process Team ensuring new Funds are set up appropriate and changes to existing products are reflected in coded restrictions.
- Responsible for co-ordinating and overseeing Newton's review & drafting of the relevant statutory documents- owning these where appropriate.
- Responsible for overseeing the co-ordination & completion of any Risk or Compliance, Due Diligence and SLA questionnaires required by the Fund Providers and co-ordinate the hosting of the regular due diligence visits.
- Oversee other operational aspects of the product/fund reporting, escalating and resolving issues as required with the BNYM Fund Providers operations and asset servicing teams.
- Be the point of contact or agree the point of contact for any operational/compliance issues escalating and resolving in a timely manner
- Proactively keeping up to date and informed about regulatory developments providing relevant expertise (e.g. vehicle, fund trends) as required. This will involve and working with Newton Legal & Compliance and the Fund Providers Legal, Compliance and Product teams.
- Responsible for managing Newton's relationship with the BNYM Fund Providers where Newton acts as the investment manager/advisor and distributor. This will involve establishing and maintaining effective relationships with the BNYM Fund Providers' product development, product management, operations, compliance, risk and sales & marketing teams as well as legal to ensure that Newton's investment management and distribution of funds are aligned to expectations within the BNYM Fund Providers own activities.
- Acting alongside the Head of Product Development & Management, the wider Commercial team (including Consulting Relations, Partnered Distribution and Marketing) as the bridge between Newton and the BNYM Fund Provider communicating Newton's product strategy and priorities and considering issues across the marketing mix such as product positioning, pricing, distribution, product structure and capacity management and portfolio manager changes as appropriate.
Governance & Management Committee Responsibilities:
- Chair, attend or arrange for a representative of the Product Development & Management team (deputising for the Head of the team as required) to attend appropriate meetings and committees as agreed with the Head of Product Development & Management create and develop any additional Committees or Forums that support the objectives of the team.
- Ensure that any written reports you submit to Committees are clear, relevant and provided in a timely manner. Ensure you full attendance at Committees of which you are a member.
Key Skills Required:
- Analytical, highly motivated and client focused, Investment Management experienced Product Manager.
- Familiar with the whole product lifecycle from product origination (including the production of business cases) through to delivery of fund launches, modifications, mergers and closures across different asset classes - equities, fixed income and multi-asset - and evidence of strong project management skills
- Strong technical knowledge with regards various fund structures with demonstrable experience with UK/Irish/Lux based vehicles. Experience of US based structures (e.g. 40 Act Funds, SMA/UMA) would be helpful
- An ability to manage multiple internal (within Newton and the wider BNY Mellon Group) and external stakeholders during the product development and implementation process particularly executive team
- Being a real team player with an ability to integrate quickly into an existing team is essential
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As one of the world's leading investment management organizations and one of the top U.S. wealth managers, BNY Mellon Investment Management combines agility, insight and scale to create and deliver strategies and solutions to address our clients' needs. Encompassing BNY Mellon's investment management firms, wealth management organization and global distribution teams, we draw on deep expertise to collaborate with clients and tailor our best ideas and resources to meet their specific needs. We pride ourselves on providing dedicated service through our network of global professionals who have a deep understanding of local requirements. With our extensive experience in anticipating and responding to the investment and financial needs of the world's governments, pension plan sponsors, corporations, foundations, endowments, advisors, intermediaries, individuals and families, and family offices, BNY Mellon Investment Management is dedicated to helping clients reach their goals.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 01986
Requisition Number: 1808104