Operations Director, Kleinwort Hambros
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 19 Feb 18 2018-02-19
Operations Director, Kleinwort Hambros
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department
KH Operations comprises of the following areas –
Banking and Treasury Operations, Credit Administration, Client Reporting and Static data, Fees and Billing
Securities Operations – Settlements, Corporate Actions, Transfers
Middle Office - Operational controls and reporting (including regulatory reporting), independent control point for front office activities , CDD/AML Client On-boarding and periodic reviews, Client Assets Oversight
Business Management - Relationship Management and oversight of 3rd Party Suppliers where Operations is the lead stakeholder,
Core system custodian – re-certifications, User Acceptance Testing and Subject Matter Expertise
Operational Projects, End to End Process continual improvements
Summary of the key purposes of the role
This is a newly created role to support the existing Operations Management Team infrastructure, in particular the Head of Operations in delivering both Run the Bank business as usual standards of service and business or regulatory change activities. The merger of two businesses combined with a new core banking and investment platform gives rise to a number of challenges and opportunities in how the department moves forward in the short to medium term.
Longer Term Operations needs to develop more innovative ways of designing and delivering products, services and business models. To meet the challenges of the organisation the integration of innovation management within and beyond Operations is fundamental.
Market forces including regulatory factors, heightened client expectations, and digital disruption require ongoing monitoring and action reshaping future strategic priorities. Operations business models and the role of Operations teams need to adapt requiring new talent profiles going forward; requiring a shift and renewed focus.
The role holder is responsible for defining the strategic roadmap of KH Operations and designing operational capabilities, both to automate end to end core processes and improve the overall client experience. To match clients' increasing digital affinity and desire to self-segment, there is a need to design segment specific service experiences through digital or Omni-digital channel modes. Ongoing regulatory competitive and client pressures drive a need to remain lean and agile in operating models and to continually optimise the cost base.
Summary of responsibilities
Strategic Direction and Implementation:
• Support the Head of Operations with business plan development and implementation. (Transforming the current Operations function into a best in class processing (cost and service) unit fully leveraging the capabilities of existing systems.)
• Design an Operations function within Kleinwort Hambros that meets the future requirements and expectations of the business, its clients and its stakeholders.
• Drive up productivity by optimising SLA's with outsourcing vendor(s) and internal clients
• Create a lean culture across the outsourced and retained organisation and to optimise the ratio between the retained and outsource operation.
• Proactively identify the actions required to resolve issues across the Group, to bring things ‘back on track' where performance deviates from plan.
• Own digital service development within Operations, refining the value proposition and business model fundamentally transforming operational interactions internally and externally.
Day to day leadership and internal relationship management:
• Provide leadership and strategic direction to the Operations Management Team in future direction of the business. Act as an internal consultant to RTB Managers on tactical change initiatives. Identify opportunities for automation and work up business cases.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with Group companies with the aim of maintaining support for strategic direction and clear understanding of Group objectives.
• Develop and maintain a network of contacts to keep informed of “best practice” and new developments within the private banking industry and competitor organisations.
• Act as a point of contact in the absence of the Head of Operations, empowered to deputise where required.
Project Management and Regulatory Change:
• Lead on agreed projects/issues/solution on behalf of the Management Committee(s).
• Ensure there is a sustainable and scalable plan to accommodate current and future business which conforms in all aspects, to regulatory controls required by the FCA in the UK and local regulations in CI to reduce the risk to the business
• Maintain accountability for ensuring that plans are developed in line with strategic direction and implemented in all business areas, with major emphasis on future proofing the TOM to support the requirements of the wider business
• Provide direction to current and future projects within Operations and Stakeholders
New Business/Market Knowledge:
• Maintain knowledge of intermediary/wealth management market, ensuring that the reputation of Kleinwort Hambros is upheld to the highest level possible and to give continuous consideration to treating customers fairly
• Act as Business Partner for NPC members in development and execution of new business initiatives and products. Influence a commercial approach to proposition and products/services and engage with key stakeholders on front to back strategies and initiatives
• In relation to Operational matters, manage the principle risks of Kleinwort Hambros - monitor, mitigate and manage within the agreed appetite.
• Manage the Operations Service Standards expected by the Front Office and develop internal SLA monitoring and value added KPI/KRIs.
Number of direct reports - TBC. Number of people in Operations for combined business circa 150.
Regular 1-2-1s held with key stakeholders to share feedback on service issues and future operational issues.
Level of autonomy and authority
Key risk taker within own area of responsibility.
Delegated Owner of Target Operating Model for Operations
Professionalism & Enterprise
Team Spirit, Collaboration and Team Building
Innovation with Focus
Knowledge of legal, regulatory and industry requirements
Knowledge of business processes, standards, policies and procedures
Knowledge & Expertise - Technical & Professional
Planning & Organising
Change and People Management
Budgeting & Cost Control
Management and Leadership Skills ( SG Leadership Model)
Experience at a senior level in leading operational teams across multiple locations
Change Management/Strategic Project Management
3RD Party Supplier management
Business Processing outsourcing experience (Change and Run)
Target Operating Model, Merger and Acquisitions
Extensive Financial Products, Services and Markets
Experience of Regulatory Reporting
Degree level educated
ACIB/MSI/MBA level desirable
Project Management/Risk Qualification e.g. PRINCE 2/M_O_R or equivalent
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment.