Portfolio Compliance Implementations Vice President
- Not Specified
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 16 Jan 19
About BlackRock BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.44 trillion in assets on
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.44 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
The Portfolio Compliance Group (PCG) is a global group which sits within Global Accounting and Product Services (GAAPS), one of the core functions within the Business Operations & Technology Group at BlackRock. Portfolio Compliance is responsible for implementing controls & processes to ensure we are portfolio compliant with all applicable regulatory and portfolio issued guidelines.
The Implementations team is primarily responsible for interpreting and analyzing the client’s investment guidelines, and then coding it on BlackRock’s proprietary compliance system. The primary compliance system is Aladdin, and PCG places compliance restrictions into the system using BlackRock Query Language (BQL), which is similar to SQL.
The team also monitors compliance restrictions / breaches on pre and post-trade basis, and ensures there is timely resolution as required. PCG directly interact with client relationship and portfolio management teams to ensure that compliance restrictions are placed per the client’s intent.
The specific role, based in London working in the PCG Implementations team, will be primarily focused on the implementation of Investment and Regulatory Guidelines activities for BLK's internal and external clients.
• Partner with the Global Implementations lead and Change Manager to develop and execute on our regional strategy
• New account coding – provide oversight and support the process as well, which requires interpreting the client’s investment guidelines from the executed Investment Management Agreement (IMA) and implementing the required controls through use of compliance rules in BlackRock’s Aladdin platform
• Guideline changes – provide oversight and support the process through which a client may change their investment guideline provisions over time, based on their preferences or market conditions. The coding (i.e., controls) may need to be updated in Aladdin to reflect the client’s updated requirements.
• BRS implementation – lead compliance channel, provide oversight and support for the process of compliance guideline coding for external client Aladdin system implementations.
• Understand, escalate and own risk for the team.
• Ensure procedure documents are up-to-date and team is following the process.
• Challenge the status quo.
• Champion diversity & inclusion.
• Build new compliance rules, enhance existing compliance coding, and investigate / troubleshoot potential breaches when needed.
• Lead / manage process improvement and efficiency initiatives, as well as system / technology enhancements.
• Lead / manage strategic projects and initiatives.
• Drive connectivity with other locations and partner with peers globally in each of the regional IGC teams.
• Growth and development within a truly global team and firm
• Exposure to multiple business groups and investment products across BlackRock and BlackRock Solutions globally
• Daily interaction with key business partners (Onboarding, Portfolio Management, Client relationship teams, Legal and Compliance, Technology and Operations, and external clients) across the globe
• Opportunity to take responsibility and ownership for both individual projects and team goals
• Visibility in being a service champion for PCG with both internal and external clients
• Exposure to global regulatory jurisdictions and frameworks
• Service champion for both Business Operations and GAAPS
Knowledge / Experience:
• Significant operational and people management experience
• Multiple years of experience in managing and leading teams
• Experience of successfully leading projects
• Client centric with a deep understanding of client intent
• Experience of working in the investment management industry and of investment products preferred
• Experience of coding in SQL preferred
• Comfortable working across multiple functions, geographies and stakeholders with maturity and judgement
• Drive, high energy and sense of urgency
• Proven track record of people development
Skills / Qualifications:
• Strong Microsoft Office knowledge
• Experience of working with Aladdin suite of applications (preferable)
• Experience of coding within Compliance Monitoring tools (Aladdin, Sentinel, Charles River, In-House systems) (preferable)
• Experienced people manager with a strong financial background
• Although not required, knowledge of programming languages (such as Visual Basic, C++, or Java) and an understanding of relational database concepts (including SQL) are beneficial
• Technical mindset to learn coding
• Strong communication skills
• Strong multi-tasking skills
• Ability to self-manage workloads and work to deadlines
• Good team player
• Attention to detail
• Pro-active approach to issue resolution
• Ability to manage complexity and stress and work in a highly challenging environment
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.