Description About this role Introduction to BlackRock and the Multi-Asset Strategies & Solutions Group
BlackRock is one of the world's preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to investors around the world. With nearly sixteen thousand employees located across the world spanning 135 investment teams in more than 35 countries, BlackRock touches every corner of the finance industry.
The Multi-Asset Strategies & Solutions (MASS) team is the investment group at the heart of BlackRock's portfolio construction, asset allocation, and active management ecosystem. MASS constructs active asset allocation strategies and whole portfolio solutions across a wide spectrum of commingled funds, separate accounts, model portfolios, and outsourcing solutions in the wealth and institutional channels.
BlackRock is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce regardless of race, national origin, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, marriage or civil partnership, or religion or belief. We are passionate about crafting and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where all employees are valued and respected, recognising the benefit that diverse teams bring to the success of our business.
Role Description & Responsibilities
MASS is looking for a motivated individual to work as a dedicated Portfolio Manager (PM) for a large UK defined benefit pension scheme. They will be part of the MASS Core Portfolio Management Team and a key member of the scheme's Strategic Client Delivery Team (SCDT), based in London.
The SCDT is a multi-disciplinary team of investment professionals within BlackRock which was jointly designed by BlackRock and the pension scheme as a servicing group for this flagship client, charged with delivering superior investment performance and outstanding client service. The PM will work in close partnership with the dedicated Chief Investment Officer (CIO) and Investment Analyst, as well as being expected to develop positive relationships with the client's own investment team, and the scheme's trustees.
The Core Portfolio Management (Core PM) team is responsible for portfolio management across MASS mandates and is made up of 50 portfolio managers globally. The team works with client CIOs, model managers and researchers on portfolio construction and new business design. It contributes to investment research, handles all aspects of implementation, and drives improvements across the operating platform.
As a dedicated, senior part of this client's servicing team, this individual will be expected to be able to take the lead on client-facing projects when required, and to be confident presenting on a range of topics in both formal, and informal client meetings.
Lead on portfolio implementation for a flagship UK client
- Lead on daily portfolio management tasks including handling cash flows, FX hedging and rebalancing
- Monitor positioning, performance and risk ensuring that all mandates conform to the scheme's performance expectations and investment guidelines
- Collaborate with the Global Tactical Asset Allocation (GTAA) research team and the client CIO to source, size and implement tactical trade ideas
- Work with the Alternative Investment Services (AIS) team to manage liquidity and asset allocation impact of drawdowns and distributions of illiquid assets
- Work closely with the Chief Operating Officer (part of the SCDT) to ensure that change programmes impacting portfolio management are implemented efficiently.
Strategic Client Delivery Team activities
- Support the CIO in working on asset allocation, portfolio construction, liability driven investing, risk management and implementation decisions
- Present investment and market analysis to internal and external audiences, including the client's internal investment team, and the scheme's Trustee Directors as required
- Help with the production and oversight of all monthly, quarterly, and ad hoc reporting and analysis
Research and Innovation
- Drive innovation in the way BlackRock uses data and technology in managing portfolios
- Connect widely within the BlackRock investment platform to bring relevant investment insights to the scheme.
- Contribute to the delivery of research initiatives and bespoke investment analysis.
- Drive scale & automation through the development of automated portfolio management workflows & analytics that use BlackRock's core data and analytics engines
Skills & Qualifications
- Seven plus years of proven experience in portfolio management, pensions, risk, analytics or related roles
- Understanding of quantitative investment research and portfolio management
- Experience in a variety of multi-asset instruments and markets
- Meticulous attention to detail with an ability to remain focused across a broad range of activities
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with evidence of ability to work as part of a team in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible, responsive, and self-starting personality
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics at law.