Principal Analyst Developer
Who we're looking for
We're looking for a passionate senior/principal Python technologist, preferably with a strong business background, to work within the Investment Technology team.
You'll work with like-minded technologists, with a variety of skill sets, focused on building best of breed data processing and analytical tools for processes such as portfolio construction, optimisation and performance attribution using modern, appropriate technologies.
We're after an adaptable engineer to work within a team that delivers software that's fast, reliable, and has a tangible impact on our business. Ideally, you'll have a good understanding of asset management and financial markets.
You'll work with a team of enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about data analytics in a financial context and evolving our investment platform. They're also keen on driving positive technology change at Schroders. The team are located on-desk, where there's strong collaboration and co-creation with the quants and portfolio managers for both research and production activities.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 4,000 people on six continents and we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018, located close to our clients in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solutions focussed role as well as a modern working environment with onsite health and wellbeing amenities.
What you'll do
• Be part of a business facing team with high visibility
• Deliver a first class data and analytics platform to support investment decision making and quantitative research
• Enhance the existing investment and research platform in response to business needs
• Build new strategic platforms in support of the ambitious business growth plans
• Drive the transition of some current key investment tools over to a new robust platform, with a focus on encouraging best practice across both technology and business teams
• Coach and develop more junior team members, ensuring appropriate design principles are established, and the similarly appropriate engineering practices and methodologies are adopted
• Work with the quants to adopt & promote Python
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Strong Python development experience, preferably in an enterprise environment
• Python library knowledge including packages such as pandas, pyspark, numpy and numba
• Experience with both SQL and NoSQL database platforms
• A drive to deliver with an ability to own a piece of work from start to finish
• An understanding of data structures and common data transformation methodologies
• Able to work in a modern software engineering environment, using Agile and DevOps methodologies and tools including Scrum, git and CI/CD
• Able to deal credibly with business and technical users at all levels of the organisation
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Strong understanding of asset management and financial markets particularly in the equities space
• Cloud (Azure / AWS) experience
• Apache Spark & Databricks experience
• Computer Science and financial services background
What you'll be like
• Passionate about technology and how it evolves
• Passionate about what you do, detail-orientated, always striving for excellence and proactively seeking for areas to improve
• A problem solver with a business facing personality
• Self starter with the focus and vision to see design concept through to delivery
• Able to work under pressure, on several priorities at once
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating ideas
• Able to deliver robust software solutions on tight deadlines
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.