Principal Data Engineer
Principal Analyst Developer
Global Distribution Technology, Distribution Analytics
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a Principal Developer with the experience and desire to help design and deliver the Distribution analytics solutions.
We want a knowledgeable developer who is both creative and analytical, an individual who is able to understand and articulate business challenges and ideas, explore them and implement the functionality safely into the production environment.
You'll be busy, working closely with the business teams from data scientists and analytics professionals to Sales and Client Servicing. Distribution analytics is a changing landscape at Schroders with an emphasis on innovation.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 4,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solutions focussed role.
Distribution and Marketing Technology creates and supports the applications used by our Sales and Client Servicing teams. Our technology footprint includes applications and systems, split between vendor and in-house developed, all designed with the common objective of being digitally and data driven. Not only do we rapidly respond to the demands of the external environment and those of our Sales and Client Service teams, the team is strategically positioned to deliver innovative solutions.
We also recognise that successfully balancing personal and professional commitments brings out the best in our teams and therefore all roles in Global Technology are reviewed for suitability for flexible working arrangements, with this specific opportunity available to applicants from 3 to 5 days per week. We passionately believe that individual performance is enhanced by embracing the whole individual and structuring a working environment that supports them.
What you'll do
• Responsible for leading development and build tasks which contribute to the delivery of working software required by the Product Owner and Distribution Analytics Business Teams
• Responsible for the capture and analysis of requirements which can be quickly delivered using the Agile delivery processes and tooling
• Explore and take ownership of ways to improve technology processes to progress the Distribution Analytics function, across a broad range of areas such as cost savings, security, ease of use, & reliability
• Develop automated processes to prevent, identify, and fix problems that impact service availability
• Discover and playback innovative functionality and potential new ways to realise additional business benefits
• You will contribute to peer code reviews and the preparation of releases for the entire Agile Team
• Drive interactions with our community of technologists to describe & own the work produced by team
• You will work closely with the Systems Architect to ensure that standards are adhered to and any necessary architectural or technical debt is recorded with a realistic plan to remediate
• Play a key role in familiarising Data Scientists, and wider team, with software development tools and best practice.
• Support the Data Scientists, and wider team, by developing specialized software in Python, Bash, R and C/C++.
• Maintain an understanding of industry trends and how new technologies can be leveraged to meet business objectives
• Engage actively in Agile planning including story refinement, demos and retrospectives
• Continually look for ways to improve your own skills and experience
• Support other team members to improve their own software development skills
• Assist us with the role of Scrum Master if required to do so
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Experience in data engineering using Cloud based platforms, ideally Azure (ADF, CosmosDB, Blob storage) and/or AWS
• Experience in developing and data engineering with Python, Spark/Hive/Hadoop
• Experience in Bash scripting and a good knowledge of the Linux environment
• Understands the principles and needs of Data Scientists and how data requirements differ from regular reporting
• Experience of SQL Server; data modelling, warehousing and SSIS
• Knowledge and experience of data visualisation tooling, preferably Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop
• Understands the principles and best practices of data modelling, interface design, code development, and testing, and you can apply these principles in real-world dev environments.
• Extensive knowledge of GIT and DevOps
• An ability to design and implement sharing models using declarative and programmatic methods.
• Knowledge in unit testing framework (NUnit, Jest, Enzyme, Jasmine, Karma) and mocking frameworks.
• Experience with automated build and deployment tools (VSTS, Octopus Deploy or other)
• Knowledge and experience of contributing to the development of technology solutions, both in house developed bespoke applications and commercially available off the shelf solutions, especially for analytical work.
• Familiarity with Agile delivery methodologies, (SAFe is preferred)
• High level of organisational skills to sustain momentum in multiple work-streams
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Knowledge of NoSQL data stores like Cassandra, Redis, couchDB, Elasticsearch
• Experience with click-stream data like web traffic
• Experience with CRM systems like Salesforce
What you'll be like
• Self-motivated and enthusiastic
• Find satisfaction in solving complex technical and theoretical challenges.
• Flexible, highly curious and willing to learn
• A critical thinker who's able to look at things from different angles
• Great at unpicking a problem, from start to end, own and deliver the solution
• Able to work under pressure, on several priorities at once, and with tight deadlines
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating decisions
• Keen to improve what we do for our clients and how we do it
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
Note to Agencies:
Schroders does not accept speculative CV's from agencies. We do have a PSL who are invited to support us when required. We only pay fees to agencies instructed to send CV's and are submitted through our recruitment portal. We do not pay fees on speculative or unsolicited CV's sent to Schroders or Schroders employees and reserve the right to contact unsolicited CV's directly.