We are making full use of a modern Microsoft Tech Stack (C#, .NET Core 2.x, REST, Containers) and building Azure cloud capabilities to transform our application estate into a service-based architecture hosted in the cloud. We use continuous delivery pipelines to build, test and deploy our applications and infrastructure securely and reliably. We are currently embracing Agile practises at scale across the organisation.
We create a culture of camaraderie and trust in our business. Our flat team-based ethos makes it simple for us to communicate and share ideas. We focus on getting the right people with the right expertise working together to deliver results.
Position Description: Purpose of role: We are looking for a QA Analyst to join the Software Factory, which designs and develops modern applications for Insight Investment. The Factory consists of three work streams: Analysis & Design, then Development and thirdly, Testing & Delivery. With extensive technical skills, you will contribute significantly to a cross-functional outcome-oriented team of engineers, UI / UX Designers, Business Analysts and QA Analysts. Each team work closely with business users such as portfolio managers, investment analysts and quantitative analysts.
The Factory has a continuous delivery pipeline to build, test and deploy desktop apps into production securely, reliably and repeatedly. We do so using either our in-house “app store” platform or Octopus Deploy for our service-based web stacks. The technology range and skillsets in this exciting team are diverse, with specialists organised in cross-functional teams using a scaled Agile / Scrum process. Our mission is to deliver apps which simplify workflow, enhance productivity and make users happy.
If you want to be part of the whole software development lifecycle, from acceptance criteria, through functional and in-code testing to owning a Continuous Delivery deployment process end-to-end, then we want to hear from you!
Role accountabilities: The successful candidate will work in the Software Factory using Agile development and a Site Reliability Engineering approach to support. You will be broadly involved the software development lifecycle and be the development team’s voice of quality assurance. The focus will be working as part of a team developing cloud-enabled applications to digitise Insight’s investment process for the front office.
Knowledge, skills and behaviours required:
• University graduate in a technical field, e.g. Computer Science / Engineering / other
• Practical experience in software development: testing, deployment and support of critical business applications.
• Represent the QA mindset in team Agile ceremonies: Scrum stand-ups, backlog refinement, sprint planning and design reviews
• Lead deployment planning sessions.
• Owner of the last mile in a Continuous Delivery pipeline for apps and services, using internal and external tools
• Own Change Management Requests and formulate post-release test plans.
• Own on-site deployment during releases.
• Own and be the main point of contact for all release tasks.
• Assist scrum team in transforming towards ‘self-independent’ team.
• Agile processes such as Scrum and Kanban
• Collaborate to refine features, formulate UAT tests and capture these in JIRA
• Understand Mutually Exclusive and Comprehensively Exhaustive (MECE) testing
• Support the team’s migration to Cloud infrastructure in 2020.
• Established, systematic and methodical approach to formulating test packs and UAT scripts to sign-off the releases
• Familiar with tools for deployment, logging, debugging:
Docker, Octopus deploy, Serena Dimensions, Serilog, SVC TraceViewer
• Define, own and manage application end-to-end test cycle.
• Manage & maintain manual and automation regression test suites.
• Good SQL skills, reading comprehension and writing ability - eventually understand the evolving DB structure.
• Experience working with automation test frameworks such as:
Specflow, Selenium, Postman, Mountebank etc.
• An ‘automation first’ test approach improving productivity and reducing risk.
• Code-literacy in any language (shell or script) to parse and understand the code, e.g. .NET, PowerShell, Python
• Collaborative workstyle based around interactions with small teams
• Comfortable taking on feedback, seeking input from your team whilst seeing other people’s point of view, always looking for ways to improve
• Proactively organise your work and be aware of how you spend your time effectively.
• Critical thinker with an appetite to solve problems and puzzles and attention to detail.
• Be resilient, even in pressured situations and enjoy the fast-paced Agile environment
• Have the ability to recognise a mistake, take ownership and corrective action to remedy it.
Incentives: • Be part of a successful, growing company working to lead in financial technology.
• Join a highly visible, cross-functional team with colleagues passionate about their work.
• Compensation reflects the opportunity and is attractive.
• Career path; Insight is proud of our reputation for hiring and retaining talented people.