Quant Developer, Alpha Engineer Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 17 Oct 17 2017-10-17
What is Aladdin and the Aladdin Product Group When BlackRock was started in 1988, its founders envisioned a company that combined the best of financial services with cutting edge technology. A company that would provide financial services to clients as well as technology services to
What is Aladdin and the Aladdin Product Group
When BlackRock was started in 1988, its founders envisioned a company that combined the best of financial services with cutting edge technology. A company that would provide financial services to clients as well as technology services to other financial firms. The technology services were called Aladdin. The Aladdin Product Group is responsible for evolving and keeping Aladdin at the fore-front with the latest in next generation technology and solutions.
We also like to give back to the community through volunteering, meet-ups, hackathons, and support for open source initiatives. Check out our engineering culture: rockthecode.io
The Alpha Gen Technology group (AGT) helps BlackRock investment teams deliver market leading performance (alpha) to their clients. We work closely with investment researchers to develop predictive signals and strategies that are traded on BlackRock hedge funds and other active portfolios. The services we provide range from: quantitative library development, model engineering, alpha platform development and investment technology R&D. We are a global team with people based in London, Budapest, Mumbai, San Francisco and Sydney. AGT forms a key part of the Investment Systems, Aladdin Product Group. AGT’s Investment partners include Active Equity, Fixed Income, Multi-Asset Strategies, and the Risk and Quantitative Analytics Team.
As a team, we nurture and develop a culture that is:
• Quantitative: You love applying mathematics, software engineering and new technology to solve complex problems
• Curious: You like to learn new things and have a healthy disrespect for status quo
• Experimental: You make mistakes, but learn from them
• Brave: You are willing to get outside your comfort zone
• Passionate: You feel personal ownership of your work, and strive to be better
• Open: You value and respect input from others
Job Purpose/ Responsibilities
Quant Developers work closely with Researchers and Portfolio Managers in BlackRock to develop research ideas and strategies into production engineered models, ready for investment. They are involved in the full lifecycle of the investment process including model analysis, development, implementation, tuning, production support and maintenance.
• Developing high quality investment models and quantitative libraries
• Extending and enhancing our alpha gen platform
• Providing researchers with technical advice and guidance on our systems
• Maintenance, tuning and support of production models
• Identifying and prototyping new alpha-enabling technology
You will learn on the Job:
• A deep understanding of hedge fund strategies and signals that drive them
• Aladdin - the investment platform used to manage >$15 Trillion of the global assets.
• Machine learning and data science technology and how to apply these to alpha generation
We value post-graduate degree holders, but we also like individuals with equivalent commercial
experience. So, if you have a good mix of the skills below we would love to hear from you:
• Expert coding skills in either Python, Java or MATLAB. You’ll learn more on the job
• A deep software engineering mind set. This includes practices such as agile, test automation, object oriented design, design patterns, release management
• Ability to apply mathematics, machine learning or quantitative analysis to solve complex problems and deliver innovative solutions
• A genuine curiosity and appetite to learn: equities, fixed income, derivatives, hedge funds or investment risk