Quantitative Developer, Global Equity team
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Old Mutual Global Investors
- 02 Aug 18 2018-08-02
This is a front office role, sitting within the OMGI Global Equity team in London. The team runs a systematic quantitative investment strategy using an extensive in-house software platform developed entirely on the desk.
This is an exciting and varied role combining computing and quantitative finance in a dynamic environment. The role offers the opportunity to become an integral member of one of Europe’s leading quantitative fund management teams.
The role is open to candidates at all levels and candidates will be considered on their merits. OMGI would like to foster an inclusive culture: one that attracts and retains diverse talent, where all colleagues’ contributions are valued and diverse perspectives are encouraged.
The primary responsibility is to maintain and develop (both functionally and technically) the software platform supporting the investment process. This spans data acquisition and storage, equity factor modelling, portfolio optimisation, equity trading, strategy backtesting, and quantitative research. The candidate will be expected to have, or acquire, in-depth knowledge of all these areas, providing rapid issue diagnosis and resolution where required, and leading strategic enhancements to the platform.
Given the small size of the team (currently 7 people), the candidate will be exposed to all aspects of the investment process. The team operates in a flat structure where all members are expected to contribute, and share in the results.
Global Equities is a small, highly successful team within OMGI managing £20bn in a range of market-neutral and long only funds, including:
• Old Mutual Global Equity Absolute Return fund, a Dublin-domiciled UCITs market-neutral fund. This has achieved a sharpe ratio of 1.3 since launch in July 2009 and currently has £12bn* under management
• Old Mutual North America Equity fund, a UK-domiciled long-only fund. Currently with £3bn* under management, this fund is top quartile in its peer group over 3 and 5 years
• Old Mutual Global Equity fund, a UK-domiciled long-only fund. Currently with almost £1bn* under management, this is also top quartile over 3 and 5 years
The Global Equities team has developed a unique and global franchise which is underpinned by a strong performance-orientated culture. The Fund managers have worked together for 13 years, and the investment process has proven highly robust through various market environments.
The team’s funds have amassed more than 58 awards, including Best Performing Fund at the 2018 UCITS Hedge Awards (for the Old Mutual Global Equity Absolute Return Fund), Best Global Growth Fund at the 2017 Investment Week Fund Manager of the Year Awards (for the Old Mutual Global Equity Fund), and Best Fund over Five Years in Equity US at the 2017 UK Thomson Reuters Lipper Fund Awards (for the Old Mutual North American Equity Fund).
*Numbers above as at 29th June 2018
The candidate should have a strong background in both computer science and quantitative finance, be highly numerate, and be educated to masters or PhD level
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Expert development skills using Matlab, or related languages such as Python
- Experience and knowledge of Automation (using Jenkins), Continuous Integration, Test-driven design and development, and other modern development approaches
- Experience working on large scale software systems
- Experience working with large data sets and databases
- Experience with data vendors such as Factset will also be helpful.
Key Behavioural Skills:
• Act with integrity, due skill, care and diligence
• Ensure customer outcomes are the focus of our business and we are respected by regulators
• Collaborate with peers across the organisation
• Share openly and be transparent
• Adopt a responsible approach
• Maintain our entrepreneurial culture
• Strive for continuous improvement
• Lead by example
Old Mutual Global Investors (OMGI) is a global asset management business managing £30.73bn (as at 31st March 2018) for clients across the UK, Europe, Asia and the Americas in a range of onshore and offshore funds, hedge funds and segregated mandates.