At Royal London we want to attract the best talent to help us achieve our vision of becoming the most trusted and recommend financial company in the UK. We are the largest mutual life, pensions and Investment Company in the UK.
Royal London Asset Management (RLAM) is one of the UK’s leading fund management companies, managing assets on behalf of a wide range of clients.
Our experienced team of investment specialists manages around £139 billion of assets (as at 31.12.2019), investing across all major asset classes. Our funds are aimed at meeting a broad range of investor needs, in addition we provide bespoke solutions to meet specific objectives.
RLAM was established in 1988 and is a wholly owned and central part of the Royal London Group. Since our inception we have built a reputation as an innovative, high performing fund manager. Our track record and exceptional client service have been recognised with a number of awards. We are proud of the people we employ, the performance we have delivered and the wide-ranging group of clients we manage for.
The role sits with RLAM 2nd Line of Defence. The Risk team drive open and honest conversation across the business to secure the best outcomes and experiences for our customers and members. The team provides independent advice and challenge and is accountable to the Board for oversight of firm-wide risk management.
Its main purpose is to provide second line challenge and guidance on the identification, assessment, quantification and monitoring of risk in Royal London Asset Management.
- Establishing the Risk Framework and ensuring compliance with RLAM policies and expected standards.
- Inputting into the design of the Group Risk Management System (RMS), ensuring that any new components or updates are suitable/workable for the asset management business.
- Maintaining the RLAM Risk Appetite Framework agreeing changes to metrics with relevant Exec owners as appropriate
- Oversight of the implementation and embedding of the RMS by the RLAM business.
- Feeding into the design and update of Group risk policies and the RLAM policy framework.
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate 2nd line risk management procedures.
- Keeping abreast of market and regulatory developments in relation to risk management, assessing the implications for RLAM and implementing changes as appropriate
- Conducting risk advisory reviews of 1st line activities.
- Undertaking second line review and challenge of Risk and Control Self Assessments, policy self-assessments and the recording/addressing of risk events
- Reviewing risk appetite response plans to ensure consideration is given to risk exposure and capital
- Ensuring the business undertakes appropriate steps for material/repeat risk events or conduct risks, giving advice and challenge as required
- Reporting findings to senior stakeholders and the appropriate committees
Skills and Experience
- Excellent communication, presentation and influencing skills
- Good problem solving approach
- Ability to interpret information and draw together the overall ‘big picture’
- Ability to provide robust challenge in a constructive manner
- Willingness to-seek to improve relevant knowledge
- Ability to organise and prioritise multiple tasks
- Several years relevant experience of risk and compliance in investment management
- Ability to provide challenge and support to management
- Solid analytical skills, ability to exercise good judgement and propose solutions to complex issues
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent, ideally with a relevant professional qualification
What we offer
- We've always been proud to reward employees by offering a number of benefits
- such as Pensions and Protection, Performance and role-related benefits, Lifestyle and Wellbeing
- Our culture comes from within, or to put it another way, it comes from our people. It’s what makes Royal London a great place to work.
- Our People Promise is something we live up to every day. We know we can rely on you, and you can expect plenty from us in return.
- Glassdoor have again ranked as among the best places to work in the UK
We are an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills – whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
In fact, the first pillar of our People Promise is designed to make sure you 'work somewhere inclusive'. We want to live up to this promise; it’s good for our people and good for our customers too, because our workforce should reflect our communities.