Real Estate Fund Controller
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- One Ten Associates
- 11 Dec 17 2017-12-11
A fantastic opportunity to join a growing and fast-paced European Real Estate business as a Fund Controller. This is an ideal opportunity for someone seeking to do more than fund accounting and to play an active role in working with Asset Management and Deal teams.
Key objectives of the Fund Controller role are, to have overall responsibility for all management and core accounting and fund level performance reporting for their assigned funds. To manage all stakeholders: internal and external service providers, reviewing their work and provide financial support to the Asset managers and deal team.
- responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of the monthly/quarterly management accounts and other financial information for assigned funds, including: - Ensuring the fund month/quarter end timetables are published and met by all participants;
- Review local financial controllers work (bank reconciliations, TB, etc.) and 3rd party service providers’ work are in line with commercial activities in the fund;
- Prepare consolidated management accounts, cash flow statements and bank balance analysis, resolving any issues. Assist the fund director in the preparation of investor and lender financial/performance reporting, providing commentary and variance analysis as required and managing quarterly distributions.
- assist and work with fund/asset management team in setting and implementing the annual budgeting requirements and timetable for fund.
- coordinate preparation of corporate cost budgets for all entities in the fund structure and ensure these are accrued in the quarterly accounts.
- responsible for coordinating preparation and audit of the consolidated fund and individual companies' financials (annual and half yearly, as appropriate). This includes: - preparing and managing the timetable for preparation and audit of the financial statements, ensuring all financial statements are signed off within required deadlines;
- coordinating the audit at fund level whilst supervising the local team individual company audit progress;
- assisting and advising local teams in resolving audit queries as necessary, ensuring local audits are completed on time, within budget and with minimal issues or adjustments;
- reviewing the audit pack prepared by all participants (local team, asset managers, lawyers, tax, etc.) for all companies for completeness and to minimise delays, ensuring all information requested in advance or reasonably expected to be required by the auditors are included;
- preparing the fund consolidated financial statements ensuring they are correctly prepared under IFRS (or Lux GAAP), with supporting working papers;
- perform high level review of local companies' financial statements prepared by local teams, ensuring they are correctly prepared under IFRS (or local GAAP if required);
- providing IFRS guidance to local teams, staying abreast of IFRS and other developments relevant to assigned funds, in order that these are appropriately planned for;
- preparing and/or assisting fund/asset management with the financial aspects of bank reporting to lenders.
- manage all reporting timelines including filing deadlines for assigned funds and all companies in the structure, ensuring awareness of the status of all these at all times and that all deadlines (e.g. lenders, investors, statutory) are met;
- the fund controller will be seen as the finance expert, providing support, financial management, assistance in managing their assigned funds, liaising with investors and lenders with regard to financial matters, and work with the fund/asset management team for an in-depth analysis of the fund performance;
- manage all 3rd party service providers as pertains to finance service delivery ensuring service SLA's are adhered to and amended where necessary, maintain an issues log with monthly/quarterly service meetings to address open issues.
- Transactions: - assist with new fund set up and other transactions (acquisitions, disposals, financing, etc.) including: - reviewing working capital and funds flow through the structure prepared by the deal team, ensuring all appropriate items are included and appropriately accounted for. Monitor actuals against budgets.
- review draft contracts, funding terms, deliverables timeline (manage expectations) etc., to ensure that Finance and reporting issues are considered where appropriate;
- preparing initial accounting entries (asset deal) or opening balances (share deal);
- monitor cash is available at the right level in the structure for timely payments of invoices;
- brief local teams on the transactions so they are in position to take over their accounting responsibilities post set up;
- ensure copies of all fund agreements (including associated service providers) are available to all finance staff that need them.
- has overall responsibility for timely and accurate submission and payment of all taxes, should therefore - maintain record of all tax filing and payment requirements applicable to each entity in the structure;
- act as oversight for preparation of local VAT returns, ensure they are filed and paid;
- manage preparation of local corporation tax estimates and ensure accruals are booked, and for the purpose of the financial statements work with the tax advisers to ensure accurate and timely preparation and filing of the annual returns.
Ad hoc tasks:
- act as source of expertise and guidance to the fund/asset management team on all financial matters;
- continually seek to identify and implement process and control improvements which promote greater efficiency and/or accuracy.
- other ad hoc projects as may be required from time to time.
Qualifications / Experience:
• At least 3 years post-qualified - CIMA/ACCA/ACA
• Educated to degree level or equivalent Work Experience
• Good interpersonal skills with ability to communicate with management team and colleagues in other functions and other European offices
• Occasional travel might be required