Regulatory Legal Counsel – Private Bank
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 21 May 18 2018-05-21
As part of the Legal Risk team you will have primarily responsibility for providing technical expertise and support in the area of law and regulation affecting the Private Bank and Savings offerings. You will deliver legal services and provide legal support with implementation of regulations and delivery of projects, including development of new products and services.
Description of Role and Key Responsibilities
The Private Bank
- With clients being at the centre of our business offering, the Private Bank provides a range of flexible and bespoke facilities tailored to meet the needs of our clients. This distinctive offering is grouped into the following:
- Banking – provides a range of transactional banking, mortgage, credit, currency and investment services alongside specialist loan products designed to meet the needs of high net worth clients.
- Structured Property Finance – provides a range of senior debt, mezzanine and equity funding solutions for a wide variety of large commercial property transactions.
- Savings is a retail funding channel for IBP operating at scale through digital and voice channels, offering a range of savings and term deposit products.
Assist the Banking business in the Private Bank in the following ways:
- Responsibility for drafting/updating client and market facing contractual documentation arising from regulatory change, structural reform, and initiatives to enhance client documentation. This includes but is not limited to product specific documentation, onboarding and standard form terms and conditions across all offerings supported by the Banking Legal team
- Providing expert and timely legal advice in relation to legal and regulatory issues relating to banking, financial services including retail and consumer matters;
- Providing legal support to assist with the implementation of regulations, and structural change;
- Providing legal and regulatory advice on projects (including development of new products and services), including involvement in project meetings, providing analyses and risk reports, and drafting and approving documentation;
- Assisting in the escalation of key risk issues to business owners and advising on relevant impacts to the business;
- Management of cost and performance of external lawyers;
- Actively liaising and collaborating across PB legal, Group Legal and other key stakeholders to ensure consistency of approach and a valued contribution is made to helping the Private Bank achieve its strategic objectives;
- Driving performance and a client driven service in the resolution of legal and regulatory issues affecting matters and transactions in the Banking business.;
- Use technical knowledge to create commercial advantages.
Core Skills and Attributes
- Regulatory Knowledge as applicable to role (compulsory)
- To act with integrity at all times and embrace the philosophy of treating our customers fairly (compulsory)
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A solicitor or barrister with a minimum of 7 years’ PQE, with experience in financial services having been gained in-house at a Private Bank or at a highly reputable law firm;
- Proven and practical experience with strong technical skills in mortgage regulation, Consumer Credit Act, Consumer Rights Act, MCOB and CONC;
- Excellent drafting skills with extensive experience in drafting documentation and terms and conditions;
- Strong communication, influencing and negotiation skills
Skills and how they are applied
- A practical approach and the ability to make clear and concise decisions;
- Excellent legal technical ability relating to the application of relevant laws and regulations;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work on your own with limited supervision or in a team in the delivery of services;
- Keen to learn and broaden skills and experience
- Flexible team player, with a focus on team performance.
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet tight deadlines, with good organisational skills