Regulatory Supervision Director
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 20 Feb 19
Regulatory Supervision Director
Regulatory Supervision Director - London
This position will be supporting the Chief Compliance Officer, EMEA and the heads of Covering Compliance for the EU27 and wider EMEA sub-regions in coordinating EMEA-wide supervisory activities. This supervisory activity comprises mainly regulatory examinations, regular supervisory meetings and adhoc requests/ enquiries. The principal supervisors in the region are ESMA and the UK FCA, although other supervisors operate in the wider EMEA region. The RSD EMEA will form key working relationships with the heads of Covering Compliance for the EU27 and wider EMEA sub-regions for supervisory relationship management purposes.
- Co-ordinate routine inquiries from regulators in the region, determining scope, timing and manner of response; informing, working with and advising the relevant Compliance Officers and other staff to ensure timely and appropriate responses to routine inquiries.
- Support the Chief Compliance Officer, EMEA and the heads of Covering Compliance within the region to manage and address supervisory requests directed to S&P Global Ratings.
- Determine strategy to manage regulators' requests, on-site inspections and other inquiries within EMEA.
- Negotiate and assist with the interpretation of the scope of supervisors' requests and inquiries.
- Assign responsibilities and direct senior executive and managers in the business, compliance, legal, regulatory affairs and operational units.
- Direct and advise relevant units in identifying and producing responsive documents, ensure quality of documents, and manage production to ensure deadlines are met on behalf of the firm.
- Partner with Operations to retrieve relevant information from S&P's ratings systems
- Review all documents to identify, and report to senior executives, on issues and risks
- Liaise with Head of Legal to maintain legal privilege and confidentiality
- Effectively partner with all areas of the Compliance and the legal department to ensure compliance with all aspects of supervisors requests globally.
- Support the Chief Compliance Officer, EMEA and the heads of Covering Compliance within the region to manage S&P Global Ratings' relationship with supervisors during all phases of relevant on-site inspections, visits and on-going communications.
- Advocate and promote S&P's reputation and good will with regulatory inspections staff within EMEA
- Identify the appropriate personnel to represent Standard & Poor's in meetings and interviews with supervisors
- Set meeting agendas, determine interview scope and scheduling
- Secure administrative support for regulatory staffs' visit to S&P offices.
- Brief personnel for meetings and interviews and conduct preparatory sessions.
- Continuously report inspection status and preliminary findings to the Chief Compliance Officer, EMEA as well as the Global Chief Compliance Officer and global Senior Management.
- Maintain constant dialogue and written communications with supervisors throughout the examination process.
- Contribute to S&P's position in response to supervisory inspection reports and findings and advise S&P senior executives on response strategy. Determine the appropriate business, compliance, legal, global regulatory affairs and operational personnel and provide direction and advice to implement corrective action.
- Support interactions EMEA Legal Entity Non-Executive Directors to ensure that they are sufficiently apprised of and engaged in supervisory examinations to enable them to carry out their responsibilities under regulation and as expected/requested by supervisors.
- The RSD EMEA will be responsible for internal reporting on supervisory activities to assist in adopting a global approach in dealing with supervisors.
OTHER REQUIRED ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA will coordinate with and obtain guidance and advice from Legal, Global Regulatory Affairs, and relevant unit Chief Compliance Officers and keep them fully informed of all regulatory requests received, examination schedules, and statuses.
- The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA will interact with and manage examination-related relationships with EMEA regulators, principally ESMA.
- The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA must be effective in managing regulatory requests for documents and information and scheduling on-site examination meetings and interviews within stated deadlines.
- The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA must review documents and information responsive to regulatory requests before submission, and be able to ensure production is responsive to request and is complete.
- The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA must review documents and information submitted to regulators with a view to anticipating and advising compliance and business management of questions or avenues of review that may ensue.
- The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA is responsible for ensuring that S&P management and staff are appropriately apprised of regulatory findings and observations.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience managing on-site inspections and requests of government regulatory/supervisory agencies required, preferably with UK FSA/ FCA or ESMA
- Relevant experience applying financial markets regulation within Investment banking, regulatory consultancy or with a regulator.
- Project management experience is beneficial.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Interest in global work and ability to work effectively with individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds required.
- Legal Qualification preferred
The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA must have a thorough knowledge of securities laws and regulations and be able to apply regulations to S&P's business operations, identify compliance issues, and determine regulatory risk and impact, and formulate remedial actions. The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA must have a thorough understanding of the inspection process of government agencies applicable to all Standard & Poor's regulated businesses. The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA must be able to interpret the requirements and objective of requests received from regulatory supervisors, obtain clarification of requests, and negotiate the scope, timing and manner of response as required to ensure compliance with the requests. The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA must communicate the results and implications of regulatory inspections and inquiries clearly and succinctly in oral presentations to legal, compliance, global regulatory affairs and senior business managers. The Regulatory Supervision Director must be able to coordinate responses to regulators' examination reports and findings, to achieve correction. The Regulatory Supervision Director, EMEA must have experience with documenting the regulatory inspection and corrective actions.