- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Location: London, England, United Kingdom
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
SABRE DeveloperAbout Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
SABRE is Standard Chartered's Analytics Booking and Risk Engine and is the strategic risk and PnL platform for Financial Markets. The development team is a world class technology group in Standard Chartered bank to provide technical solutions to support the bank's Financial Markets business as well as support requirements from other projects with a wider scope such as regulatory books of work. We bring a deep understanding of the market, a scientific approach, and innovative technologies to bear on the challenges of profitable trading in the world's highly competitive environment. This is a rare opportunity to get into an organization working with smart, great technologists globally in financial markets domain. The culture in SABRE is open, intellectual, and fun. Learning opportunities are plentiful: organized classes and seminars; freewheeling discussions; intensive one-on-one mentorships. Career advancement is always waiting for those high-energized talents to pursue.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the implementation of highly visible strategic programmes with the primary responsibilities around building components within the SABRE Risk & PL platform. Any developed solution must be scalable, robust and fault tolerant catering to the existing and future business needs in a timely manner. In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to develop innovative solutions with a view to these being released quickly to gain feedback before advising on the full scale roll out.
The candidate will be a natural technology enthusiast with a driven yet pragmatic, delivery focused mindset and a desire to deliver constant business value through the effective and innovative use of technology. The candidate will be expected to take ownership, responsibility and accountability for critical components, and will have come from a mature and demonstrable agile background and be comfortable dealing with the resistance that comes with change. The candidate is expected to work in a dynamic global team with business analysts, project managers, business stakeholders and other technical experts across multiple locations.
- Work closely with the Development Manager, Project Manager, and a team of developers to deliver Java components to internal business users
- Demonstrate a systematic and disciplined architectural, system design and programming approach
- Deeply passionate about best-practice software design principles, you will write robust code along with a high-level of test coverage
- Self-starter who can drive/facilitate requirements and development effort
- Design smart and scalable solutions following the bank standards
- Coordinate with other teams in Technology
- Develop, prepare and maintain system documentation, including program descriptions and operational procedures
- Act as the second line of support during production problems.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Hands on development with investment banking IT experience
- Good Java development experience working in a performance focused concurrent environment
- Experience with Hadoop/Spark/ Scala could be advantageous
Development Tools and Methodologies:
- Experience of TDD and BDD in a commercial environment
- Exposure to continuous build and deployment solutions such as Jenkins
- Able to work within an agile environment delivering software incrementally
Other Preferred Skills:
- Strong analytical & problem solving and creative skills
- Good communication skills in both written and oral English
- Ability to be organised and multi-task on different requirements across various stakeholders, and to work independently and under pressure
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness to work with a range of people from diverse background and geographies
- Should have a technical or numerate degree in subjects such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or Economics
Technical skills (Non-essential but beneficial for this role):
- Any data and compute grid experience a plus
- Development experience on functional language, such as Haskell, is a plus
Domain Knowledge (Non-essential but very beneficial for this role):
- Knowledge of financial instruments and derivatives, trading and risk management, market data, and market risk processes and methodologies
- Understanding of risk measures, risk analysis and reporting•Knowledge of at least one specific asset class / line of financial instruments
- Knowledge of at least one specific asset class / line of financial instruments
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.