SAP Sybase ASE DBA - L3 Operations - Core Infrastructure - Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 16 Mar 18 2018-03-16
See job description for details
A position has arisen for an SAP Sybase ASE DBA who has experience supporting multi-server enterprise environments. This person will be a member of the L3 global distributed database service team who provide follow the sun 24x7 firm-wide “container-level” support for mission critical databases across the production, qa and test environments.
Your primary responsibility will be to provide SAP Sybase ASE DBA expertise however the position may also require you to assist in providing some support for other database products including IBM DB2 LUW, and Oracle.
The role will require the successful candidate to participate in all aspects of database administration including but not limited to
- Provide SAP Sybase ASE and Replication Server technical expertise
- Outage/incident management – from initial troubleshoot/ resolution though to root cause analysis and driving subsequent corrective measure implementation.
- Providing consultancy services to application support groups/developers
- In depth performance and tuning
- Handling L3 escalations from L1 and L2 groups
- Project work including migrations, version upgrades, operational acceptance testing for products being delivered by the database engineering group etc.
- Defining /reviewing operational best practise and writing standard operational procedure documentation
- Scripting, automation and bug fixes
- Participate in the weekend on-call support rota.
- Strong database administration of SAP Sybase ASE versions 12.5.4 – 15.7 ideally in a Linux/Unix environment
- Expertise in Replication Server and administering large scale complex replication topologies
- Performance and tuning:
- Ability to use tools such as sysmon and MDA tables to identity instance level bottlenecks and provide corresponding configuration recommendations
- Ability to read and understand query plans, understand optimizer decisions and provide recommendations for SQL / Index tuning.
- Strong TSQL language knowledge
- Advanced ASE Optimizer troubleshooting
- Working knowledge of Unix /Linux
- Intermediate Perl / Shell or another scripting language
- Must be able to work with command line tools
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment on mission critical production databases systems
- Excellent communication skills (including strong written and spoken English)
- Ability to multi-task / Excellent problem solving skills
- Service focused with ability to build relationships with customers of the DBA group
- Exposure to MSA/ HADR high availability solutions
- Knowledge of another RDBMS product ideally IBM DB2 LUW
- Basic understanding of Veritas Cluster Server (VCS)
- Knowledge of ITIL frameworks
- Knowledge of ServiceNow
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.#LI-JM1