SR LEGAL COUNSEL, CAPITAL MARKETS
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner) , you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018. Role/ Department:
Senior Legal Counsel, Capital Markets Legal. The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Negotiating key FX and capital markets contracts, including on boarding documentation and product specific agreements such as terms of business, ISDA Master Agreements and Credit Support Annexes, Currency Management Agreements, Pricing Agreements and standing instructions.
- Assisting with other capital markets areas such as broker engagements, securities lending documentation (GMSLAs, netting opinions etc.) and other ad hoc contracts like NDAs or vendor contracts.
- Advice to the business and compliance teams in respect of regulatory matters such as MiFID and EMIR obligations, transaction reporting, margin rules and cross border licencing issues.
- General project work, including regulatory change projects and new product development.
- Instruct and liaise with external counsel, as necessary, and review and analyse advice and opinions from external counsel
- Advise on legal and regulatory developments impacting Northern Trust's capital markets business in EMEA
- Manage legal risk having regard for, amongst other things, regulatory change, good corporate governance and operating structures
Working with Us:
- Experience working in derivatives, in particular FX derivatives, and a strong knowledge of the regulatory framework for FX derivatives in the UK and Europe.
- Knowledge of securities lending documentation and/or cash equities brokerage documentation would be valued
- Excellent contract negotiation skills across a range of product types.
- The ideal candidate would have experience specifically in the FX world, but should be flexible enough to help cover off other capital markets areas, such as cash equities trading and securities lending, when needed.
- A self-starter who is able to work independently and the ability to prioritise and work to set deadlines within a challenging environment
- Strong commercial/pragmatic sense and understanding of business needs
- The ability to analyse complex legal issues and explain outcomes in plain English
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways: Financial
- Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review Work Life Balance
- Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days Health & Wellbeing
- Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program Professional Development
- Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives. And Finally
We hope you're excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.